What Did You Buy Today?

Wow, what a haul, it's good to see this stuff go to a good home rather than a recycler! The person selling it for such a phenomenal price must be hating life or thrilled to see this stuff go to someone who appreciates it. It's awesome he's addressing it before his family has to load it into a dumpster or search the internet to find a perceived price on each and every bench brush.
He is wanting to relocate in the near future and as an old tradesman, he no longer has an interest in machining. He could have sold these and other items for far more, but he just wanted to see it go to someone that will carry on...

I'm a newbie to all this machining, so I'm super stoked to pick up these items.

I bought these solid carbide endmills and drills from @mattthemuppet2

They range from 1/16” to 3/4”. There are also three indexable chamfer tools, two from Iscar and one made in Japan. Finally, some inserts for the Iscar tools.

I was completely blown away by what a great deal Matt made me. I immediately placed a third order from him which he promptly dispatched. Matt does not sell any junk!

463886DB-5665-449D-A2AC-E2DACE19365D.jpeg
4E68B93C-90AE-4808-B254-81FA110E5E13.jpeg
09B37BAA-605D-4FED-9457-064287C4FD65.jpeg

Last edited:
In a previous post I mentioned the blade on the Baileigh cold saw was rotating toward the "fence". That may have been a poor choice of words. It's actually the fixed jaw of the vise. The vise itself is a stout cast iron affair with adjustable jaws. It also uses a taper lock in addition to the handwheel.

Here's a picture of the vise during the reassembly process without the adjustable jaws

Attachments

• IMG_1354 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1354 - Copy.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 23
Didn’t actually buy, Craigslist free find. Workbench and cabinets that will find a home under my lathe probably.

7A0B753A-5E37-4B4F-BFC4-F7064452BC4E.jpeg
Cabinets are really heavy duty, possibly from a bank.

John

If a purchase takes years, what counts for buying today? I paid up on Tuesday, so close enough.

Hopefully this is my last lathe. Nardini Nodus ND-1760. Also ordered a 20hp RPC (the 5hp unit powering the mill won't cut it) from American Rotary. And of course I paid out the nose for 2,500 miles worth of freight. And I paid triple for a 6k reach forklift, because there apparently isn't a single plain ol' forklift in the greater Seattle area at the moment. That puts me at almost $14k in our new devalued currency. Two years ago it would have cost half to do the same, but what am I going to do, order from China? I did find exactly what I have wanted for a long time. Crazy thing is, the freight company is hauling from Cincinnati to Seattle, made the pickup the same day I paid, will have it here in five calendar days from dispatch, and my lathe is the only thing on the truck. Usually you buy a little piece of the load, because logistics is a business, but I got personal service from 4 time zones away. Just wild.

Okay, okay, yes there are pics. Keep in mind 17" machines are capital equipment. You don't find Nardinis very often in original paint in this sort of condition. Most offerings in this size range are worn smoother than the blarney stone, so I think I did well. Hopefully no surprises.

large-used-17-24-x-60-nardini-nodus-gap-type-engine-lathe.jpg

That puts me at almost $14k in our new devalued currency
I made a post about this earlier . I'm also looking into the American Rotary converters . Quadruple what they were a couple years back . Ouch ! That's a good looking lathe there and a nice size one at that . That should hold you over for awhile ! :encourage:

American Rotary got hit pretty hard by the state of Washington for online, out-of-state sales tax evasion about three years ago. My purchase records at the time were subpoenaed (by the state) for the suit, which felt dirty to me. They had fines, and their prices went up, then covid, then economic collapse, then the crash of the dollar... But they're a great company, so I went back to them for this one. One thing's for sure, I have not gotten any pay bumps to compensate, have you?!

Back