What Did You Buy Today?

I went the route of just buying a control panel and using a used 3 phase motor to save a few $$
I'll have to talk to you about that . :)

I went the route of just buying a control panel and using a used 3 phase motor to save a few $$
I did that a long time ago and used it for years before I got 3 phase. I didn't have, don't know that there was available any "control panels" at the time. Mine was just some big capacitors and two switches.

NOS Atlas Workholding 6" independent 4 jaw chuck. I've been working around the limitations of the 40-50 year old chuck on my TH42. Will be nice to have one that's tight and true for a change.

Not to mention a chuck key that is not floppy and loose in the adjuster screws. My current one is a mix of worn key and worn adjuster screws…

Last edited:
I did that a long time ago and used it for years before I got 3 phase. I didn't have, don't know that there was available any "control panels" at the time. Mine was just some big capacitors and two switches.
That's all mine is. Well they added a fancy timer to kick out the start caps, so only one switch. WNY was highly recommended for a while, but they had obviously just switched manufacturing (I suspect the name got bought out) and mine had so many loose wires (poorly crimped terminals) it was embarrassing.

My main contactor is currently buzzing annoyingly loud. Rebuilding it with some added features is on my to do list.

Well today i ended up buy ANOTHER empty Huot 115 stub drill index. The first time the guy canceled my order. The second time from ebay the guy got a damaged one from his warehouse and wont get another shipment until the 8th of August. Sooooo for 10$ more i just ordered straight from Huot this time. God knows when it will get here.

After complaining about too many boring heads, I bought another. To my defense, I've only paid for two, and someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He knew it was a boring head, but not familiar with it past that. It looked to me like it was complete with one exception. Two of the clamping screws were missing. I know that it is good practice to take out the unused screws so they don't turn into projectiles so I assume the previous owner likely did just that. Other than that, all the parts were there and most were unused. The head was obviously used, one boring bar used, one extension bar used, and the left hand carbide cutters are both chipped. The rest looks unused. $750 to the house.
IMG_8939.jpg
It had a 1.5" straight shank installed but an unused R8 was part of the package. I flooded it with oil to flush out the old "gunk" that was inside. Once the excess started to run clean, I figured it was probably OK to try out. Here is the first cut with it on some 7075 AL. I used an indexable 3/4" bar with the 1" to 3/4" sleeve that was in the kit.
IMG_8934.jpg
I have 2 Criterion heads, and 3 Yuasa heads, but this one is by far the most rigid. I didn't expect to feel much of a difference between a 4" Yuasa and this one but the difference is substantial. I still have much to learn but in my world that applies to just about everything.
For the first cut, I was trying to put in enough relief to drop a washer in. I didn't set the stops, just measured the washer and gave it a try. The washer doesn't move in the hole, but I over shot the depth by .020 because I dropped the table after the first pass, (.020 deep) when I realized I was too close to slip the washer under the cutter. Went back and zero'd everything without taking into consideration the first pass. All things considered, it was much easier than the old way.
IMG_8933.jpg
I'll be looking for left and right hand stubby indexable 1" boring bars

Back