What Did You Buy Today?

Got a new toolbox to place the 9x20 lathe…

In the photo is my brother on the right and on the left, a good friend of his…

EE286555-9F29-413C-852A-4E9FCC8ACAEB.jpeg

From 619.00 ended paying 420.00 after coupon and additional manager discount of 10%… Made a slot on the butcher block to slide on top…

Got a new toolbox to place the 9x20 lathe…

In the photo is my brother on the right and on the left, a good friend of his…

View attachment 413079

From 619.00 ended paying 420.00 after coupon and additional manager discount of 10%… Made a slot on the butcher block to slide on top…
I did something similar with a roll around box. I would recommend you consider moving the butcher block rearward a bit. I left a similar front overhang on mine and I find it a pain to access the back of the top drawer as the butcher block sticks out too much for my liking. It's not a show stopper, but it sure is a PITA when I need something from the top drawer....

I did something similar with a roll around box. I would recommend you consider moving the butcher block rearward a bit. I left a similar front overhang on mine and I find it a pain to access the back of the top drawer as the butcher block sticks out too much for my liking. It's not a show stopper, but it sure is a PITA when I need something from the top drawer....
I did not think about that…

Great point. I just picked up a gentle used one recently and put a random piece of plywood on the top that sits almost flush with the little sides. Nice part is how easy you can make it fit your needs.

Today I received this lot of HSS 1-1/4” and 2” endmills (and a drill) from @mattthemuppet2

He did not sell me the 1-1/2” endmill holder + hex key. I included that tool for a size reference because you guys know how big an R8 taper shank is.

To say that this is a smashing deal is obviously an understatement. Thank you to Matt for providing a happy end to my miserable work day (my UPS truck broke down in a remote area with no cell signal, & I had to walk several miles with what I discovered *10 hours later* was a steel (face milling) chip cutting into my big toe).

1DAAD8D7-65B3-44D5-A729-C4BE350811EF.jpeg
A5D5A332-D91D-4A07-B490-D7861D10981F.jpeg

I don’t have a 2” EMH (or money to buy one). I might try to turn down the 2” HSS shanks to 1-1/2”.

Maybe you need more than 3HP to use a 2” endmill. For now, I will be limiting myself to 1-1/4” and smaller.

Last edited:
Maybe you need more than 3HP to use a 2” endmill. For now, I will be limiting myself to 1-1/4” and smaller.
Congratulations on your excellent bargain.

However, IMO, you need more than an R8 spindle to run those longer cutters at anything close to their potential.
I'm not overly concerned about the short cutters, as long as you take it very easy with them, but those longer ones are an educational experience waiting to happen.
Just looking at the proportions between the R8 holder and the longer cutters should give you pause.

However, IMO, you need more than an R8 spindle to run those longer cutters at anything close to their potential.
I'm not overly concerned about the short cutters, as long as you take it very easy with them, but those longer ones are an educational experience waiting to happen.
Just looking at the proportions between the R8 holder and the longer cutters should give you pause.
I'm afraid we'll be reading some very interesting threads on here in the future . :grin:

Been there, done that. Drawers aren't any good half covered unless you have skinny hands.

I checked... only sticks out 3-1/4" in the front. I can get to the back of the drawer without issues.

IMG_6637.jpeg

Back