What Did You Buy Today?

Been watching old HD drills on eBay lately. Had a couple in my watch list and a seller made an offer of 2 bucks for this:

5C05183D-7ED2-42ED-99F9-5B18AD98233F.jpeg

McGraw-Edison Power House HD 1/2" Drill Model 70156 550 RPM 6 Amp.

Says it was his fathers drill and thinks it was 1950-1960 era. Said to work fine. Came out to 20 bucks with shipping.

Just couldn’t turn that down!

Been watching old HD drills on eBay lately. Had a couple in my watch list and a seller made an offer of 2 bucks for this:

View attachment 413253

Says it was his fathers drill and thinks it was 1950-1960 era. Said to work fine. Came out to 20 bucks with shipping.

That looks like a wrist breaker! Good score :)

I suspect there‘s likely a threaded hole in the top of the casing (like most of the drills I have from this era) where you can screw in a piece of pipe to give you two gripping points.

like this:

View attachment 413257
Had an ex boss of mine that used one of these to drill a hole through his house to install a laundry vent. He was pushing it inward too close to him when the hole saw jammed. The pipe handle came around and knocked him unconscious. Sometime later his wife came around looking for him and found him out cold next to the wall. Fortunately for him, he survived without serious problems.

Tools give a user serious mechanical advantage, but can kill us in a moment if we aren't thinking while running them. Be alert when using power tools.

Had an ex boss of mine that used one of these to drill a hole through his house to install a laundry vent. He was pushing it inward too close to him when the hole saw jammed. The pipe handle came around and knocked him unconscious. Sometime later his wife came around looking for him and found him out cold next to the wall. Fortunately for him, he survived without serious problems.

Tools give a user serious mechanical advantage, but can kill us in a moment if we aren't thinking while running them. Be alert when using power tools.
Oh, I've had a couple of these monsters lock up when drilling. Learned that lesson at an early age using my grand pappy's 1/2 500 rpm drill to punch holes through a motorcycle brake rotor when I was 16.

I always keep a firm two handed grip and am braced for the possibility of lock ups. I've had them try several times in the years past, but I've always had enough....ahem....."mass'....that when it comes to a contest between the drill and me, I win.

These are old tools though, made in a time before law suits, idiot warning labels everywhere and before a time when natural selection seeems to have "taken a break" (like it has these days). These old beasts run forever and get some serious work done, but they don't suffer fools lightly.

That's just fine by me. I prefer the serious "no nonsense" way these old tools work. Respect must be given, or suffer the consequences....

Today I received this lot of HSS 1-1/4” and 2” endmills (and a drill) from @mattthemuppet2

To say that this is a smashing deal is obviously an understatement. Thank you to Matt for providing a happy end to my miserable work day (my UPS truck broke down in a remote area with no cell signal, & I had to walk several miles with what I discovered *10 hours later* was a steel (face milling) chip cutting into my big toe).

Trust me, I was very happy to get those gone - they'd been sitting in a box in the way waiting for me to list them on eBay :) The 2" I threw in for fun, it'll make a great paperweight or conversation starter. I'm considering keeping the 3*12" one for the same reason, but if anyone wants to have the biggest endmill on the block **** me a PM!

View attachment 413253

Used this one last night. Yes, that is a 6" hole saw.

The 2nd one is a Van Dorn I picked up last winter. Haven't found a job for it. IMG_20220710_114907922.jpgIMG_20220710_115212434.jpg

I have a Milwaukee that won't stop fer nuttin. I never use it anymore without a 3 or 4 foot cheater on the extra mount opposite the handle anchored to something immovable. Same with an old aluminum frame 1/2" drill.

The Milwaukee caught once and wound the cord several times around my wrist before it stopped. :(
Aaron

Today i went to the tool/ flea market, bought me couple of things. First thing i was looking for was a good tire iron, and the first one i found and bought was the rusty UNIOR one for 1,5$ and for couple of rows i could not found any more. Then i started asking the venders and one pulled the 18" one out of his van, i did joke with him, he must be afraid of getting beaten with tire iron so he is hiding it, i paid 3,5$ for it. Last two irons i bought at another vender for 11$, then i started to look for other items for tire repair. Couple more rows and i found couple of pliers i plan to leave them at the tire machine for pulling nails all three 3$. Then i found this M6 threading tap that someone modified for 0,4$ and last thing i found and bought was that electric motor 1.5Kw (2hp) for 25$, it needs some work, it's missing its fan cover and its feet but it has 2 way switch and is running very smoothly I did test it and when running i clean off the shaft. That was the best deal of the day.
IMG_20220704_210106.jpgIMG_20220704_210253.jpgIMG_20220704_210317.jpgIMG_20220704_210439.jpgIMG_20220704_210446.jpg

84”x24”x84”

C62FF31B-1792-45C5-A845-5983F642AC24.jpeg
For the new house… inventory showed 5 available…nope, only one available and it was way up there..

DB0524C7-1C12-496B-8716-E42911741B28.jpeg

Good thing nobody was in a hurry, lol…

With that in place, I can start emptying the stuff in the garage of the old house and moving it over…

Back