What Did You Buy Today?

So I’ve somewhat resigned myself to the fact that my pappy’s old drill might not be rebuildable. Too much use and too much abuse over too many decades.

Pappy used to own a fish plant in Cape Breton. They had a big warf and a couple fleet ships In addition to just the locals selling their catches.

They used to use this big ol’ drill to punch through warf pilings (think: telephone poles) to bolt them together. My mom was pretty sure the drill had taken more than one dunk in the harbor while working and I wouldn’t doubt it based on its condition.

I was a bit bummed that it had to be “retired” until I ran across a nearly identical one on ebay for 40 bucks:

12DDAFF7-D7A8-4142-8F85-F5497CBC0763.jpeg
C68E00C1-5CAE-4A70-AB6C-13DD72EA1698.jpeg
22B1EC59-A3BA-4F3B-8C1F-5CC3AF962EB2.jpeg
Same drill except for the jacobs keyless 6444 chuck.

So I’ll shine up pappy’s drill, make it look like it is still a working piece and put it up on the wall in my shop so I can still see the initials he etched into it.

The “new to me” one can pick up the duty pappy’s drill used to do when I need a high torque/low rpm hand drill.

Last edited:
Today, I got some polymounts for the new lathe to stand on. My concrete was poured by a team of visually impaired tradesmen that must have been provided to the general at a hearty discount, because on that day, they were also drunk. But that doesn't matter, these mounts are good for 4,000 lbs apiece and there's 8 of 'em.

IMAG1375.jpg

Tools give a user serious mechanical advantage,
Yeah I wish… ;)

Funniest thing (it’s funny NOW nearly 50 years later) is when I had to use a power post hole auger to drill for garage footings. Essentially a gas motor on top of an 8 inch diameter x 3 foot long auger bit and four handles in a kind of cross-shape to hang on with. Well, for those of you familiar with Peace River gumbo and I don’t mean the food you’ll be able to picture the outcome better. But for those who aren’t let’s just say it took all of 2.5 seconds for the auger bit to go from full height to practically burying the motor, and when it finally locked up that four-handled cross turned into the four handled helicopter rotor with me attached. I’m not a big guy now and was probably all of 130 pounds back then and I swear I must have gone fully horizontal before my partner on the opposite side shut the throttle! I can still feel the blisters on my hands from that day. As for mechanical advantage, I’m pretty sure the auger had the upper hand that day… :D

I have a Milwaukee that won't stop fer nuttin. I never use it anymore without a 3 or 4 foot cheater on the extra mount opposite the handle anchored to something immovable. Same with an old aluminum frame 1/2" drill.

The Milwaukee caught once and wound the cord several times around my wrist before it stopped. :(
Aaron

The Milwaukee Hole Hawg will hurt/ kill you. A beast of a drill.

My dad had an old 3/4" hand drill and was using it to prime an IH truck engine he had rebuilt. I think I was about 12 at the time. Well that thing pinned him to the firewall of the truck with the trigger somehow locked on. Good thing I was there to pull the plug. I have a holehog, and a Milwaukee 9" grinder, and You really want to make sure you have a hold of them when using. They can do some major damage to the uninitiated. Mike

Had an ex boss of mine that used one of these to drill a hole through his house to install a laundry vent. He was pushing it inward too close to him when the hole saw jammed. The pipe handle came around and knocked him unconscious. Sometime later his wife came around looking for him and found him out cold next to the wall. Fortunately for him, he survived without serious problems.

Tools give a user serious mechanical advantage, but can kill us in a moment if we aren't thinking while running them. Be alert when using power tools.

Got a new toolbox to place the 9x20 lathe…

In the photo is my brother on the right and on the left, a good friend of his…

View attachment 413079

From 619.00 ended paying 420.00 after coupon and additional manager discount of 10%… Made a slot on the butcher block to slide on top…
I have one of these tool boxes. I love it.
Good deal!!

I quit buying and let them multiply by themselves . Here's my latest haul ( pic 1 and 2 )moved to the basement . Maybe double this to haul down later tonight . Add them to pic 3 and 4 which are already down and waiting for attention . :grin:
If you leave the male and female tools together at night........ watch out!!

I like unusual tool designs. I bought these over the weekend at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association flea market during our big show

Attachments

• 16575704417513264728607326470335.jpg
    16575704417513264728607326470335.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 22
Back