What Did You Buy Today?

Received some tooling from @mattthemuppet2 and a TI board from DigiKey. Here is the stuff from Matt.
PXL_20220711_213233843.jpg
Some chamfer mills, a couple of long end mills, some jobber drill bits to eliminate most of my HF drill bits from my life, a bunch of assorted taps and a set of reamers (wrapped in white). Decent haul. Everything looks pretty good. Next order of business is to find all my spare tubes, so I can stuff in the reamers. Don't want them banging around.

The TI board was for an ELS, the Clough42 version. However, the board was on back order so long (6 months) that I designed my own from a Teensy 4.1 and wrote my own code. I am close to finishing the code, so I will probably sell the TI development board in the for sale section, as I have no use for it. On July 2nd, I received a notification, the board would be delayed another month. I was about to cancel the order on July 2nd, but as I was writing the email, I received a shipment notification.

Lets see, what else? I brought home the stainless table from @mmcmdl and have to make a place for it (inside!). Right now it is outside, hey, it is stainless, a little rain won't bother it. Identified a spot inside but, have to rearrange things. I think Dave would understand :grin:
PXL_20220711_215130285.jpg
Lastly, my plants are happy that I am back, here is a fig that I am growing in a pot. Started it from a cutting two years ago. Looking forward to eating those big juicy figs. I have to bring the fig in for the winter, as freezing temperatures will kill it. The two figs that are ripening are about 2" long and 2" in diameter.
PXL_20220711_215330414.jpg
Not pictured, is some 80/20 that I picked up from Dave as well. It's laying on the floor at the moment, got to pick it up and find a place for it. Plan to make a cart from it, as well as a lathe tool holder.

Well, I certainly don’t need another vintage drill to add to my collection, but I’ve been watching this one for a couple days and when it got up to “8 watchers”, I caved to the desire to own it before someone else ”caved” before me:

F7690A11-63E3-4407-97C0-8C4CF7620F9B.jpeg

DC7775C4-C59F-4C3F-A284-F6A64AD8C491.jpeg

Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft TPC-9242a variable speed reversible drill. I’d guesstimate its from somewhere in the early to mid 60’s.

Its the “expensive” one that they carried being the top of that particular model line. Still, nothing remarkable about it (as a functional tool) compared to its contemporaries.

But what put it over the top for me was this:

23FE6307-1180-4417-B050-FA9B12BE8386.jpeg

7888AE64-7144-42AB-9B81-DFECFD61A641.jpeg

The body is engraved. From the pics, it looks very well done, especially if that has been done by hand.

I’ve never seen that before was n a drill. At least not on a run of the mill department store special. So either it was some sort of “special edition” or someone cared about it enough to have it done and protect it from work scars all these years.

It certainly does have the look of something that was cherished by its owner (came from an estate sale). Perhaps he was an avid outdoorsman or it was a special gift from someone.

Its the engravings and the fact someone cared about it that make it worth adding to my old drill collection.

Hard to complain either way with it only being 50 bucks to my door.

I’ll gladly be its next caretaker for the 30 or 40-odd years I have left on this spinning ball of rock.

:)

Sadly, I doubt there will be another caretaker for this old warrior after me. Kids just don’t seem to have much interest in this type of thing anymore…

Last edited:
Just ordered a NOS Atlas chuck from HHRoberts in Ontario:

E5D42A74-0624-43C9-98B6-DAFEBF063756.jpeg

Last guy I could find talking about them said his came in orginal packaging, original dried ip grease and a date stamp of “1979”.

Geoff (sales guy) says they’ve still got a couple skids of the Atlas chucks and 5” Bison 3 jaws.

I’m hoping this was built before the mass “Chinacization” of most machining equipment….will be nice to have a fresh 4 Jaw chuck of decent quality for a change. My Atlas has an original 4 jaw, but its got a fair bit of wear and can be a little “sloppy” sometimes.

Back