[4]

What Did You Buy Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I got a pretty good price on an 8" dia bearing ring.

It is precision ground and about 3/8" thick. I plan to use it as a mill tramming aid. I can mount an indicator in the spindle and indicate on this to avoid the Tslots. There may be more available if anyone is interested.

Robert

rwm

Active User
What did I get myself into this time?

Saw one of these in a tv series, sure it was placed there and panned many times as a subliminal sales ploy.

I bit !

Its a nixie clock kit. Hate to admit but I used electronics that had these for displays.

Interestingly none of these tubes seem to be available in North America, guess stock was purged when they became obsolete. Russia seams to have a good stock yet, this kit came from Lithuania with CCCP proudly etched in the glass. Guess they're like me and save everything.

Greg
I have a Nixie clock and I love it! Buy a coulple extra tubes if you can. They burn out occasionally.
Robert

roadie33

Active User
Needed to replace the Woodworking band saw that died on me last year.
Grizzly had a sale on the 14" saws a few weeks ago so I ordered one.
I just got it set up and added a retractable caster set I had on hand.
Makes storing it out of the way easier since I don't use it everyday.
This is a nice band saw and needed very little adjusting.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
A 14" bandsaw is one tool every hobbyist must have , it is so versatile, it cuts all sorts of materials ,it is inexpensive to buy, easy to set up, parts are readily available, doesn't take too much floor space, it is a great buy all around.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

Garage sale stuff today: the son of a tool and die maker was selling off the contents of his Dad's shop.
They had already sold a lot of stuff so it was picked over already, but prices were good. Huot box
packed with number drills for 6 bucks, a 1/2 Jacobs chuck for $25.00, some parallels for $4.00. HSS tools,
the snugs and the hacksaw added up to $15.00. I think I did OK.

Any of you folks around Portland might want to head out there. Still had lots of drills, taps, boxes of new cemented
carbide tools, and so forth. He had a set of what I think were ER 40 collet chucks, some big boring bars,
boxes of carbide inserts and tool holders for the mill.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I got a pretty good price on an 8" dia bearing ring.

View attachment 292449

It is precision ground and about 3/8" thick. I plan to use it as a mill tramming aid. I can mount an indicator in the spindle and indicate on this to avoid the Tslots. There may be more available if anyone is interested.

Robert
Nice! I'd be interested in one. Could you send me the details? Thanks

mksj

Active User
Narex Vhu 1 3/8" (travel) boring and facing head with R-8 arbor. Not too often that you need a facing or larger boring head, but if the project is too large for the lathe, being able to bore/face/groove on the mill is nice. Checked to see what comes up occasionally over the years, most are usually too big, too expensive and often in not so good condition when the price is affordable. Wouldn't have minded getting the next size up, but the condition and price of this one was hard to pass up. It is also a more current style with replaceable carbide inserts. I have a 2" boring head, this one is 3" and with the extension you can bore to a 9" diameter.

vocatexas

Registered
I've been using a Central Machine horizontal/vertical band saw I got at an estate sale for a couple of years, but I've been looking for an old Craftsman horizontal. The CM just won't make a straight vertical cut no matter how much I adjust it. I finally found an old Craftsman. It's totally encrusted in dirt and crud, but it's all there minus a set of tires. I can't wait to get it cleaned up and running.

*I'd post photos but I still haven't been able to figure out how to upload them here. Maybe soon...

mmcmdl

Staff member
Narex Vhu 1 3/8" (travel) boring and facing head with R-8 arbor.
NICE ! I've got the identical set . It's one of those tools I just can't let go of . :cool:

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Narex Vhu 1 3/8" (travel) boring and facing head with R-8 arbor. Not too often that you need a facing or larger boring head, but if the project is too large for the lathe, being able to bore/face/groove on the mill is nice. Checked to see what comes up occasionally over the years, most are usually too big, too expensive and often in not so good condition when the price is affordable. Wouldn't have minded getting the next size up, but the condition and price of this one was hard to pass up. It is also a more current style with replaceable carbide inserts. I have a 2" boring head, this one is 3" and with the extension you can bore to a 9" diameter.

View attachment 292486

View attachment 292487
I can't count the number of times I wish I had this tool!
Very nice!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I've been looking to buy couple of front wing side indicators, for the Little Niva and today i finally found and bought a pair, those cars are notorious for rusting at them and someone had deleted them, but i think they are important, especially because of the box shape of the body fronts are hard to see and half of motorist don't pay attention in traffic, now i can drill new holes to be able to mount them. Did i mention they cost 3$ for both, some of the OEM parts are extremely cheap.
IMG_20190413_210411.jpg

mmcmdl

Staff member
Narex Vhu 1 3/8" (travel) boring and facing head with R-8 arbor.
I can't count the number of times I wish I had this tool!
Very nice!
I sold a couple Enco B/F heads and all my regular boring heads over the years but kept the Narex and my smaller Wahlhopter head . I don't even own a mill but these 2 tools bring back many memories of past projects and are hard to part with . I did bring the small one into work and used it on a bearing repair job within the past year . They said it was the coolest tool they've ever seen . :grin: ( I now work in a maintenance role now with mechanics )

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i went and visit the local tool/ flea market, the first thing i bought was this diff flange and driveshaft joint, it has a new u joint in it just little dirty and rusty, for the Little Niva, when off roading is just the question of when i'm going to need them, and the only other thing i bought was this Bosch grinder at 14$ nearly new i thought is a great deal, not a bad trip.
IMG_20190414_101032.jpg
IMG_20190414_101126.jpgIMG_20190414_101141.jpg

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today after work i stopped by a parts store, and bought couple of new wheel oil seals, and 5 liters of gear oil, yes this little thing takes that much oil in its two diffs, transfer box and gearbox, unfortunately i can't, assemble them today because i have couple of other jobs in the works but i'll be back to work on it soon.
IMG_20190417_142822.jpgIMG_20190417_142851.jpg

richl

Active User
Registered
I saw mention of something online metals has, it called a protobox they will fill a box with5, 10 or 20 lbs of either steel, aluminium or brass. I need some brass for knobs and such so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just arrived a few minutes ago.
20190419_153400.jpg
It's kinda the luck of the draw, a few more pieces of solid round and a few less of tubing. But I'm happy, cheaper than mcmasters. :grin:

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
+1!!!

My shop has/had a bunch of dual-tube 8 foot fluorescents on the ceiling. Bought a case of LED replacements, and have been replacing the tubes as they burn out. For an 8 foot fixture, you remove and wire around the ballast. I also use a short length of #14 solid wire, run across the top of the housing and curled around the middle of the (somewhat flimsy) plastic and aluminum lamps to keep them from sagging. LOVE the new lights ... and no more irritating buzz!

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
I Picked up a spare 6x12 magnetic chuck yesterday from a auction. It’s a madava made in Holland. I had never heard of them and googling looks like they’ve merge with a couple companies since this one was made. Their now called Bakker-madava and have the TTC logo on their nameplate. I like this configuration with the on/off lever at the end and chucked is drilled for fences on all four sides so it can b mounted left or right. She needs a little clean up but I liked it and for 22 bucks you can’t go wrong.
653D83A5-EAD1-4ABA-A5CB-A9F7D0B1480D.jpeg92976906-294B-4226-8346-C4026B323F13.jpeg

[6]
[5] [7]