What Did You Buy Today?

Seems like that was my parent's philosophy too. My mom passed away earlier this year, dad passed 3 years ago. I took possession of their home that was built in 1964. Going through papers a few weeks ago, I found and disposed of their tax return from 1964. . . I miss the parents and try to NOT dwell on complaining about cleaning out all of the stuff they left behind. I kept my dad's dog tags from the Marine Corp, but what to do with all of the other "keepsakes"? My brother-in-law had a good comment, "If your mom's high school diploma (or insert countless other items) was so important to her, why was it stuffed in an envelope, packed in a shoe box, and buried under 100 lbs. of other stuff in a closet you can't get into because a sewing cabinet is in front of it". He has a good point, the diplomas and yearbooks all went in the trash.

I'm hoping to NOT do that to our kids! The coolant pump for my Tormach crapped out last year and was replaced. Still had the old, burned out pump in the shop, until last trash day.

Bruce
My condolences; my father passed in 1994 and my mother 10 years later. Other than some books and odds & ends that my mother hadn’t already given to my sisters & me the only things that we sorted through when she passed included some aluminum dining accessories that were probably expensive in the late 30’s when they were married. I do have a number of carving and other small tools from my father (kept in a walnut Gerstner chest I purchased at the time for a [now] ridiculously low cost), including a leather stitching tool and other items he got from Herter’s.

While I do have a lot of scrap, I usually strip out broken items for (potentially) useable parts rather than saving bulky stuff. I probably will start going through my collection of bits in the next few years, maybe not disposing of stuff, but at least sorting it.

Condolences as well. I’m sitting next to the workbench my father built to construct his airplane (wish I had that too).

We all have so many things it’s hard to know where to even start. I’ve been sorting and organizing spaces at work I’m now responsible for. Got my workbench set up yesterday.

Feels good when you see the kids who report to you starting to follow the example you’re trying to set.

John

Ordered a spare blade for the bandsaw - Starrett - 99165-04-08-1/2 Intenss Pro-Die Band Saw Blade, Bimetal, Intenss Tooth, Raker Set, Positive Rake, 56.5" Length, 1/2" Width, 0.025" Thick, 8-12 TPI

Ordered the following for the Logan 820 lathe. Could not pass them up for 190.00 each (plus shipping):

New (NOS) 5” 3-jaw Bison 2-piece jaw chuck with integral threaded 1-1/2”x8 tpi mount
9C9B1DAB-4DF7-41C2-8EE2-6C7DEF0883AC.jpeg

New (NOS) 6” 4-jaw Atlas chuck with integral threaded 1-1/2”x8 tpi mount

83B8F408-5E08-4CC7-A379-EF08A3121485.jpeg

ER32 wrench to avoid sharing the one in the other machine…will keep this one in the toolbox for the Logan

Still need to get some dogs for the faceplate… and some chuck keys for the drill chucks…. those were missing

12CE8994-A837-4769-8ACB-FD7257F92626.jpeg

Last edited:
David makes a nice presentation of the material here. Kudos!

1313997a34cba2dc2968879bae04a3e3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Not metal related but I bought a Sheartak helical cutterhead for my DeWalt DW735 planer.

For me this is a very worthwhile upgrade for the DeWalt 935 planer. I can get the stock blades sharpened once for $22. But they just don't last in hardwood. And a new set of blades is $100. If you plane any significant amount of hardwood, you will go through blades like water. Each carbide insert has four cutting edges so basically four blades.

The improvement in surface finish, cutter longevity, and reduced operating noise is significant. I feel good about this since I paid $400 for the planer and $515 for the helical head putting my investment close to the retail price of a new machine without a helical head.

A fellow was putting out a bunch of stuff into the back lane ... free for the picking.
#202 Ames Indicator, missing the tip but works freely, the bezel lock is not right either.
#224 Starrett mic , missing most of the rods.
Whitney-Jensen Punch #5 Jr. Absolutely complete with the manual. It lists punches and dies for 50 cents each!

I gave the fellow $40
20220829_132739.jpg

20220829_132708.jpg

20220829_132647.jpg

20220829_132628.jpg

20220829_132755.jpg
20220829_132827.jpg

I went to a craigs listing to pick up a cabinet... $20.. when I got there the guy says you want this wheelbarrow full of tools for another $20...
YES!
Take a look at this haul.. Snap-on wrenches, snap on sockets, Mac Wrenches, Tru-Craft wrench/socket combos.. Albrecht chuck, 5c Collets, Too much.. I know these are crappy photos, I need a new phone, mine is really having some issues.

WMEeNOO.jpg

vAku89t.jpg

cswDBhk.jpg

The whole listing of items:

I'll be refinishing the cabinet the same as the map cabinet.

Last edited:
Thanks.
They are just too dirty to tell right now. My neighbor came over and used his phone to see Germany and Albrecht on the chuck. I couldn't see it.
They will all get cleaned up, first in purple cleaner (where needed) then evapo rust. Some just wire wheeled, or scotch brite

Back