What Did You Buy Today?

A dream car right there.
It has a tube chassis, LS7, T56 and modern Corvette suspension at the corners. I was working on it full time fitting different pieces then I bought a PM mill and lathe and got sidetracked. Hoping to get the car back into the surgical suite (wife’s description) before spring.

Is this a project or already done? Thread on that?
Robert
I haven’t done a thread, not even on Corvette forum where I was quite active with threads on the build of my ‘60. Here is a link I put together on the build of that car. The link takes you to Blurb where I put together a book, 234 pages on that cars build.

You can download the book for free to see all the pages. Right now in the custom car restomod market once you put an idea or build out you will find others using your ideas. My ‘60 Vette has had many others use that template to build from. In 2018 I did an indoor show and another car that was there the owner came up to me and told me he used some of my ideas in the build of his car. My car had been built for 11 years by that time, so I really didn’t mind. But you have to keep your ideas close because once they are out, they may reach showplace before you do!

David,
I've had good luck with my Shars purchases. From my experience, they seem to make an effort to sell the better quality components.
I'd be curious to see what your TIR is when you chuck up a length drill rod.
Thanks!
I did get it out of the box finally last night.
The back plate goes on very nicely. Very little play in the threads.

The chuck is clean, no grit or grime but I took it apart, cleaned and reoiled it just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wanted one of these for a LONG time...:D

20200107_114743.jpg

20200107_114758.jpg

Its a little dirty, is missing one vise jaw, and has some 'character' on top of the vise, but runs smooth and quiet, and everything seems to be very tight. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up and run it.

Youtube... here I come!

-Bear

I'd be curious to see what your TIR is when you chuck up a length drill rod.
Maybe not so useful to know TIR on a 4-jaw independent chuck... but I've had good luck with Shars over similar-appearing Chimports. They clearly specify tighter tolerances from their producers than the cull pallet that ends up on ebay or bango.

Maybe not so useful to know TIR on a 4-jaw independent chuck... but I've had good luck with Shars over similar-appearing Chimports. They clearly specify tighter tolerances from their producers than the cull pallet that ends up on ebay or bango.
Well, don't I feel silly. I glanced at it, saw SHARS and decided it was a 3 jaw.
4 jaw, dial it in baby.

I've wanted one of these for a LONG time...:D

View attachment 309839

View attachment 309841

Its a little dirty, is missing one vise jaw, and has some 'character' on top of the vise, but runs smooth and quiet, and everything seems to be very tight. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up and run it.

Youtube... here I come!

-Bear
Before you run it, take the ram off and check to make sure all the oilers/passages are clear. I found some galling on my Rhodes shaper due to lack of lubrication..
I'm really envious. That looks like a sweet machine. The real beauty of a shaper, you get a lawn chair, a couple adult beverages and watch it make chips.
Much better than TV.

I bought a Harbor Freight (called "Windsor Design") wooden machinists tool box. I was thinking it would be perfect for my wife's craft tools and supplies. However, the tool box was quite a bit bigger than I expected (silly me, I should have checked measurements when I ordered it). It's the same basic footprint as my Gerstner. The Gerstner is on the left.

IMG_7912.jpg

It was too big for her, so I am taking it for my gun cleaning and fishing rod supplies, or possibly my own electronics tool box with exact knives and small tools for inside the house.

IMG_7913.jpg

It is missing side latches and handles. The front panel doesn't release by opening the lid with the Harbor Freight like it does on the Gerstner. You have to engage the key to open that panel.

IMG_7914.jpg

It is not as finished. It could have used some sanding before being finished. Many folks have complained that the drawers are not as easy or smooth to operate - the lack of sanding will be why. I know they add soap to the drawers to make the operation of them smoother, and at some point, that is what I will do.

So, for my opinion of this tool box. If you want a machinists tool box, but can't afford much, I say get it. It works. It functions. Yes, it does have some issues, but for a tool box that can house your blocks, gauges, etc, this is actually not a bad move. If you do purchase one, please be aware that you will be doing some additional work to get it where you want it.

Back