What Did You Buy Today?

@Ben17484
They are just obnoxious to use. Sometimes, heaven forbid, a person may want to leave the key in the chuck, just for a moment, while he/she uses that hand for something else. Is that the best safety practice . . . no, but it happens all the time. YMMV Be safe.

My recent taper project/taper tantrum thread got me thinking of adding inexpensive indicators with magnetic bases so I could put one to measure saddle travel and another to measure cross slide travel....for under $30 each they're hard to beat.
You got me. I immediately ordered a pair of those bases. Two for $36 delivered from the Shars liquidator on eBay (discount machine), it'll be easy to get my money's worth!
s-l500.jpg

As a newbie, can I ask why you don’t like the sprung keys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its kind of a “work around” if you’re inexperienced and haven’t developed the habit that if you aren’t working directly on the chuck, the key MUST NOT be in it.

The theory is the spring won’t let you leave the key in the chuck. It a kind of “idiot proofing”.

If you’re experienced/knowledgable enough to not leave the key in the chuck unattended, then the spring is just another thing to “p” you off and make the job just that much harder….

Last edited:
The theory is the spring won’t let you leave the key in the chuck. It a kind of “idiot proofing”.

If you’re experienced/knowledgable enough to not leave the key in the chuck unattended, then the spring is just another thing to “p” you off and make the job just that much harder….
I agree, just a nuisance, especially if you need to adjust the chuck a big difference tighter or looser--just make it a strong habit of not leaving the chuck key in chuck after using it!!!-----bad habits of a few should not affect everyone!

Dave

Moms neighbor has been after me for a couple months to look at some "stuff" a friend asked him to store in 1980ish to see if I could use any of it. Not wanting any more "stuff", I have been kinda dragging my feet on going over. Thursday while cleaning up around moms place he finally pinned me into a corner. Turns out his friend was a machinist in the oil field industry. My interest tweeked when he pulled out the Starrett 98 18" and 8" levels. Been on the hunt for them since I will be moving the lathe to my new shop this summer.
IMG_9460.jpg
IMG_9461.jpg
Its almost all Starrett with some Brown & Sharp and Federal indicators. The indicators all seem to be working just fine. The Federal .0001 with the 3.5" face has pretty long travel. The stuff was all stored in climate controlled room in a beautiful wooden rolling machinist cabinet. The rulers and one of the drill chucks were laying in the bottom of the cabinet and unfortunately did get wet in the flood we had 3 years back. Also laying in the bottom of the cabinet was some varsity size pieces of HSS, some endmills and taps. The HSS on the top of the box is 1". The light brown haze you see on things is sediment from the lake. I was surprised that more of it wasn't rusted.
IMG_9462.jpg
The neighbor really wanted me to take all of this so he could use the cabinet for something else. He retained a set of Starrett mic's and a full set of Cleveland drills. I know nothing about the original owner, but after going through all of this, the owner was either an unbelievable tool bit grinder and end mill sharpener or he had access to one. Some fantastic contours ground into the HSS, and all of the endmills are razor sharp. They all cleaned up really nice.
IMG_9463.jpg
IMG_9465.jpg

I tried to get the cabinet from him, but he wouldn't part with it........................yet. I say yet because I seem to be the only one around that can keep the Holly carbs on his corvettes in their sweet spots.

One... last... piece... of workholding...

I sold a small lathe and bought a big lathe, so none of the tooling crossed over. Not one bit. One thing that is critical is the ability to hold small work and spin it fast. This is one of the first things I'll need. After I tear it down and clean it up.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 162040.jpg

I thought this was a duplicate of what I had, 901,pleasantly surprised when I got home. Wonder why they didn't include a holder in these?

Attachments

• 20230107_174028.jpg
    20230107_174028.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 23
Back