What Did You Buy Today?

589+400+575+283+16+65+49+25+10+28+25+13+15+63+54+31+8+18=$2267
According to this thread, you have spent this much since December 25th.
It's like a broken record.

I have a weekly amount that I give my wife for all of the bills. Anything above that amount always goes to the hobby. If the discretionary share of my income seems like a lot, believe me this points back to the large amount of OT hours that my employer dumps on me due to *their* staffing shortages.

I would much rather work a reasonable 40-45 hours weekly than be forced to work 55-60+ hours weekly because my employer is unable to fully staff their operation. When I am continuously losing *time* like this, I am going to make sure that I come out of it with a tangible personal benefit. If that benefit is something useful, all the better.

Last edited:
That's a nice style of jewelers saw. They're easier than some to change blades on and to tension. You might have to go to a jewelers supply or hobby store to get the appropriate blades.

A lot they'll do up there, they need to be on your face to catch splashes. I've got earplugs in my pocket 24/7, but those haven't prevented hearing loss, what the hell?.
Just to clarify, They had to be on your hat in order to show that you have them available when needed.
When we did work on anything that may contain acid we had to ware the following PPE, goggles, full face shield. 2 pair nitrile gloves covered by leather work gloves, rubber boots, and and complete acid suit and S02 respirator. ( the respirator only had to be around your neck and available if needed) . The respirator was really only required if we were working on anything that may have Sulphur trioxide ( S03). On top of that we had to have a water hose running and available within 4 feet of the work area. One person was assigned to man the water hose during the work. They were to flood you with water in case of a splash or spill. Along with this, the closest emergency shower/ eye wash station had to be tested that it was functioning and was verified that the control room received the alarm that it was activated prior to the commencement of any work .Upon activation of the shower, a plant operator had 2 minutes to attend to the site with a emergency acid kit. All emergency shower/eye wash stations were tested on a weekly basis. All communications with the control room was over a secure and dedicated radio network.

It's Starrett Day!

I don't often buy directly from Starrett, but I needed some parts and they were actually the lowest cost:

Starrett Goodies 1.jpeg

The case is for the #228 Hub Mike I got on eBay a little while ago ($100 including shipping; not $605, or even the $375+ for a NOB on eBay, but then, they do come with the case & wrench):

Starrett 228 Hub Micrometer.png
What am I going to use it for? Situations where my Starrett #576 can't reach, of course.

The case including flat rate shipping for my 2 shipments was significantly less than the offer I had from a Seller on eBay. I also got another #3 spanner wrench (I like to treat my new tools to something nice, plus unless it's sitting in the box you can never find one). Curiously, there wasn't a slit in the padding for a wrench, so I added one.

One of the Ratchet Stops is for the #224AA 0"—4" Mike I got at Cabin Fever; the other is a spare (remember, after the case, I had free shipping).

The only problem with getting anything from Starrett is the packaging: they have to do the best job I've ever seen. Not only do they pack small parts in individual envelopes, the place the small envelopes in a larger one that is had to miss when unpacking. One time when the parts came in those little 1" square envelopes, they put the envelopes in a baby box. As for the outer box [not to be confused with OtterBox, who also have great cases :)], they use heavy gauge corrugated, plenty of padding and I have yet to receive a box from them that isn't stapled & taped (top & bottom flaps):

Starrett Packaging.jpeg
The little wad of paper? That was in the the small box the case came it, to keep the case from shifting and getting scuffed. Starrett's shipments always pass the shake/rattle test!

This was actually the second part of my order, originally scheduled to ship the first week in February. Part one (Lens & Gasket for my $10 #815 Toolmakers Hammer, also from Cabin Fever) was supposed to ship January 19th; but as they tell you, "Acknowledgement dates are systematically defined. Availability variances may lead to early or delayed shipment."

No 30.

Just to clarify, They had to be on your hat in order to show that you have them available when needed.
When we did work on anything that may contain acid we had to ware the following PPE, goggles, full face shield. 2 pair nitrile gloves covered by leather work gloves, rubber boots, and and complete acid suit and S02 respirator. ( the respirator only had to be around your neck and available if needed) . The respirator was really only required if we were working on anything that may have Sulphur trioxide ( S03). On top of that we had to have a water hose running and available within 4 feet of the work area. One person was assigned to man the water hose during the work. They were to flood you with water in case of a splash or spill. Along with this, the closest emergency shower/ eye wash station had to be tested that it was functioning and was verified that the control room received the alarm that it was activated prior to the commencement of any work .Upon activation of the shower, a plant operator had 2 minutes to attend to the site with a emergency acid kit. All emergency shower/eye wash stations were tested on a weekly basis. All communications with the control room was over a secure and dedicated radio network.
I used to haul acid, nasty stuff, full ppe, every time. Did have a guy load me off a railcar once, out in the boonies. He wore nothing but gloves, I was glad to get out of there.

Back