What Did You Buy Today?

While the posters are nice, the thing I find myself using more than anything are the reference cards.
It's just the posters on handy, plastic 3x5 cards, but I keep a set next to the computer and one in the shop for when I don't feel like looking up tap sizes or metric conversion.
I wish I had wall space for a poster. There's not an inch of wall space available. :rolleyes: I have a bigger space than some, but still managed to fill it up.
I've got 4 shops..
Woodworking machines with a few metal working.
A wood hand shop.
A metal shop.
And a finishing shop and storage.
And there isn't space for a single poster...
wahhhh wahhhh :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Bought this Barnes metal lathe at an auction Saturday. 1920’s vintage, many were originally foot powered. A screw making lathe I think. Not too much wrong with it, just gunked up really bad. The 1 1/2 motor with it truns if manually started, but I have a 1/2 horse to try on it. Needs a chuck. Worst thing is the auction guys broke the nice cast tailstock leg unloading it, welded it with mild steel rods. Broke again as we loaded it. Guess I need to buy some NiCL rods if they still make them. Drive pulley got broke in the crash too. Will be running soon.
foot powered? not line shaft powered? I didn't know a lathe that size could run on a treadle.

It has the top lead screw, but is missing the bottom one. Nothing to hook the bottom screw to. Not sure what that control is. When it is pushed in it locks the lathe up. Only spun by hand so far. May be a speed reduction like a back screw. Can’t find a provision for a powered crossfeed. Spindle (1 1/2 by 8 TPI) and toolholder seem to be same as Craftsman.

Check out this Barnes brochure over on Vintage Machinery.
They could be purchased with treadle, or velocipede, or shaft/motor drive. You ordered countershaft for power driven ones. Seems pretty big load for foot powered, considering it had a 1 1/2 HP motor. But they were screw making machines so maybe this was less power need. Can’t imagine pedaling a lathe all day.

I wish I had wall space for a poster. There's not an inch of wall space available. :rolleyes:

And there isn't space for a single poster...
wahhhh wahhhh :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

There isn't a back of the door anywhere???
(ceiling??? LOL)

I heard the potters who spun bowls with pedal equipment had to have hip replacement eventually. The opposite hip from the pedal one.

I put a thread poster on the side of the shop fridge.

Well, finally got around to drive over to my friend's house to pick up the bending jig he gave me...

He had also ordered a milling work table... 17.7" x 6.7" that turned out to be too big for the small drill press he has. He ended up getting a smaller one for his drill press and submitted a return for the larger one. So he got his money back, but it was never collected... Knowing that I have a larger drill press he asked me if I would take it... For freeeeeee....

free.gif

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

So I will move the float lock vise to the Walker Turner drill press, and use this on the larger drill press for now...

Last edited:
Back