What Did You Buy Today?

I wish I had wall space for a poster. There's not an inch of wall space available. :rolleyes: I have a bigger space than some, but still managed to fill it up.
I've got 4 shops..
Woodworking machines with a few metal working.
A wood hand shop.
A metal shop.
And a finishing shop and storage.
And there isn't space for a single poster...
wahhhh wahhhh :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
If my poster wasn’t folded, I’d replace my Kennedy one on the back of the outside door (only wall space not covered with tools/shelves, and it’s next to the mill).

I bought a monthly subscription to welderskills.com for $6.99/month with a 7 day free trial.

It is a bunch of videos on metalworking, but mostly MIG, TIG, stick and dual shield flux core.

It has a lot of extended discussions which you can download and listen to offline (I don’t get a cell signal on most of my UPS route).

Last edited:
Not a tool for me, the missus lost some depth of shelf space, hope she gets used to it, and she likes it better. One year from ordering to installment. It was going to be a full kitchen renovation, I got the appliances ordered, and the market slide happened, so the renovation is on hold, Got a Bluepoint stove also, but it came last year.

Was on FB Marketplace, looking through Local; didn't buy anything (there was a post from Punxsutawney, halfway across the state, and they wouldn't take PayPal), but I saw what at first looked like the weirdest contraption I ever saw:

Odd Micrometer.jpeg

On closer inspection, it's a pair of micrometers, but it got me thinking: maybe there's an application for a micrometer that measures two features at the same time, like diameter & length of a boss?

Was on FB Marketplace, looking through Local; didn't buy anything (there was a post from Punxsutawney, halfway across the state, and they wouldn't take PayPal), but I saw what at first looked like the weirdest contraption I ever saw:

View attachment 439778

On closer inspection, it's a pair of micrometers, but it got me thinking: maybe there's an application for a micrometer that measures two features at the same time, like diameter & length of a boss?
You have gear measuring verniers.
1677861307102.png

Would work for some applications, but even then, not as "Steampunk-ish."
I don't know why, but I don't like that term.
Also bespoke..
today I was in home depot picking up some hvac filters (that I use for spray painting), and saw an area marked bespoke..
Maybe I'm too old, but I just dislike coming up with new terms to describe things. It's like working in the computer field, the new buzz words come out and the managers go all nuts using the terms not really understanding what they are talking about, or how the technology works.

People would look at brazing goggles and now call them steampunk... NO they are brazing goggles.

My two cents.. no offense intended.

I don't know why, but I don't like that term.
Also bespoke..
today I was in home depot picking up some hvac filters (that I use for spray painting), and saw an area marked bespoke..
Maybe I'm too old, but I just dislike coming up with new terms to describe things. It's like working in the computer field, the new buzz words come out and the managers go all nuts using the terms not really understanding what they are talking about, or how the technology works.

People would look at brazing goggles and now call them steampunk... NO they are brazing goggles.

My two cents.. no offense intended.
Actually, “bespoke” is old english, from the original “bespeak”. It’s not a new word…used routinely in the UK, not so much in NA.

“Steampunk” however….not so much. Recently created word.

Back