What Did You Buy Today?

"Bespoke" in the traditional use means, in common language, custom-made or custom-fitted. An expensive, tailored suit made to fit a specific person would be "bespoke." So would a shotgun which was custom built for a buyer, so that when the buyer put it to their shoulder to shoot it would be aligned perfectly to sight down the barrel.

It is hard to connect Home Depot to "bespoke" unless it is non-stock paint mixed to a customer order. Even then, it would be a standard color from their catalog instead of a paint mixed to the customer's taste.

I don't know why, but I don't like that term.
Also bespoke..
today I was in home depot picking up some hvac filters (that I use for spray painting), and saw an area marked bespoke..
Maybe I'm too old, but I just dislike coming up with new terms to describe things. It's like working in the computer field, the new buzz words come out and the managers go all nuts using the terms not really understanding what they are talking about, or how the technology works.

People would look at brazing goggles and now call them steampunk... NO they are brazing goggles.

My two cents.. no offense intended.
None taken; perhaps I should have said “unusual,” “home-brewed” or “wacky?”

Steampunk is stupidpunk...

People cobble stuff together and call it art.

Me thinks the earlier stuff looked like steam plant stuff with pipes, valves, and gauges.

Now piles of junk are called art.

Different strokes.

Socks when good stuff is converted and ruined.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Steampunk is stupidpunk...

People cobble stuff together and call it art.

Me thinks the earlier stuff looked like steam plant stuff with pipes, valves, and gauges.

Now piles of junk are called art.

Different strokes.

Socks when good stuff is converted and ruined.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Jules Verne-ish?

Agree bespoke is an old word, but it's now being used like a buzz word, and mostly incorrectly.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Was at Home Depot the other day and they had some Bespoke Samsung refigerators that she liked the look of. I checked them out online and the one that would work for our new space was on super sale, like $1k off.

Tried to order it from their website and no dice....

Bespoke just means priced too high and you might not be able to get it anyway....

John

I see "steampunk" applied to constructions that look like machines, but aren't. They seem to be favored by those who want the appearance of industry but without 1.) the dirt, 2.) the function, 3.) the desire to make something, or 4.) the ability to make anything.

But I like "bespoke", because it's more efficient than "made-to-order." It's only pretentious because it's a British term not used much in the USA.

Rick "most steampunk looks to me like tin cans soldered together" Denney

Several things from FB marketplace, and ebay. Some good deals from guys retiring.

F1C9504A-BF75-4BC1-BB0F-CC65E377500F.jpeg

Bought these two as a package deal. Older machines. Should be great additions to the shop.

0A43EB45-68BD-440E-8DA6-91E251F2EDF9.jpeg

1998 YMC/SuperMax Rebel 1 VMC with Fanuc 0M-C control.

391DFBBE-DAE7-4EDF-8E7F-88617BEF6477.jpeg

1998 Okuma two axis turret lathe with hydraulic tailstock.

Back