What Did You Buy Today?

For better or worse, I bought a cheapo ebay power drawbar for the BP clone. I'll be sure to report out on it once I get it installed. Unfortunately, for the Supermax it's going to take a little "massaging" to get it mounted but I expected that. 83615830-7C44-4043-8D04-EB6F50867428.jpeg

So I was searching for a D-Bit grinder for over two years now, more specifically I was searching for an original Deckel S0, the knock-off ones from china seemed to have gotten mixed reviews, essentially it seems to be a hit and miss if you get a well fitted and precise machine or not.

When it comes to the Deckel S0's, all I found in Germany where either very run down and worn out or the price point had the typical Deckel premium with around 1500€ for machines that were older, but in good shape or around 5000-6000€ for almost new or refurbished by reputable machine rebuilding companies.

Now I finally found a machine that seemed to be a good deal... this is an older version, but in good to very good condition. Still the factory paint on, not to much signs of wear, all joints move smoothly, the spindle also. Price was 535€ + 60€ in gas to pick it up.

Since industry standard in Germany is 380V/3-phase power, even for these small motors, I'll have to convert it to 220V single phase with a new motor and I'll also add a VFD. I'm also waiting for a new drive belt and spindle grease to arrive and after regreasing the spindle I can start to practice on this machine...

IMG_1149.JPGIMG_1152.JPGIMG_1151.JPGIMG_1150.JPG

Last edited:
Not quite as fancy as some of the latest finds, but last weekend I once again visited a local used machinery dealer and came home with another "treasure". This time I found a L-W Chuck Co. 11" dividing head and tailstock. I was a bit surprised as to the weight of such a small unit. When I originally lifted it for inspection, I thought I thought I should have had an extra bowl of Wheaties for breakfast that morning. It was all I could to lift it from the 2-wheel cart to the truck, and another struggle to lift it out of the truck and get it to the shop.

After a little reading up on the unit I found it weighs 140 lbs. without the chuck attached. I would guess the chuck adds at least another 35 lbs. To this point I only have 1 indexing plate and no center. At the time I didn't have time to sort through the other accessories, but the dealer has several boxes of plates to sort through and said he would include any I could find to complete the set. He also has several shelves full of centers and will include a #10 B&S if there's one in the mix.

One thing I did notice on this unit is that the crank handle is different than any pictures I could find online. All of those online have a single hand hold with a locating pin. This one has a hand hold and a separate locating pin assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 32
I've had making a ball-turner on my "list of good intentions" for years. I have a few things that I search for on Facebook Marketplace when this Holdridge 4-D showed up for $150. It was missing the 2" and 3" 1/2" diameter cutters but the rest was there. I bought a couple of 4" Mesa tool insert tools which will be cut down to 2" and 3" when/if I need them. By the way, there's a supplier called "Beaver Drill" who makes those cutters though they are out of stock.

Next project will be setting in on my Grizzly 14" x 40" lathe and seeing what needs to be done to put it on center. The 4-D model is supposed to be for 12" - 15" lathes, so it might get some use on my Clausing also.

Bruce

20230317_170016.jpg

Not quite as fancy as some of the latest finds, but last weekend I once again visited a local used machinery dealer and came home with another "treasure". This time I found a L-W Chuck Co. 11" dividing head and tailstock. I

Here is the manual and advert for that L-W dividing head attached to this post, below.

I've had making a ball-turner on my "list of good intentions" for years. I have a few things that I search for on Facebook Marketplace when this Holdridge 4-D showed up for $150. It was missing the 2" and 3" 1/2" diameter cutters but the rest was there. I bought a couple of 4" Mesa tool insert tools which will be cut down to 2" and 3" when/if I need them. By the way, there's a supplier called "Beaver Drill" who makes those cutters though they are out of stock.

Next project will be setting in on my Grizzly 14" x 40" lathe and seeing what needs to be done to put it on center. The 4-D model is supposed to be for 12" - 15" lathes, so it might get some use on my Clausing also.

Bruce

View attachment 441534

Wow, Bruce! I paid $1200 for mine, and that one is even slightly cleaner, so this message bears repeating!
:you suck::you suck:

Attachments

• 24130.pdf
    386.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 24387.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I hope you people realize you're all having undue influence on an old gullible retired guy. Every time I think I have all the tools and accessories I'll ever need someone comes along with just one more toy tool that's a "must need'. The truth be known I'd need to spend 26 hrs. a day in the shop to use all that's there now, but so far that hasn't stopped me from trying to find more. About the only thing slightly slowing me down is the fact that there's little or no room left for anything larger than what would fit in a pocket.

I thought I got a pretty good deal on the dividing head. However now that I've seen the original price it sold for I'm not so sure. I paid more than double the price it sold for new.

I hope you people realize you're all having undue influence on an old gullible retired guy. Every time I think I have all the tools and accessories I'll ever need someone comes along with just one more toy tool that's a "must need'. The truth be known I'd need to spend 26 hrs. a day in the shop to use all that's there now, but so far that hasn't stopped me from trying to find more. About the only thing slightly slowing me down is the fact that there's little or no room left for anything larger than what would fit in a pocket.
did you notice the phone number on that first attachment from John, that's before 7 digit phone numbers

That may seem old to some, but I can remember when our phone number was Pleasant 4629.
hmmm. I read that wrong. I guess the letters were the first 3, I know when I was a kid our phone was GE3.. not main or pleasant. I guess that's the same, but different.

Back