What Did You Buy Today?

hmmm. I read that wrong. I guess the letters were the first 3, I know when I was a kid our phone was GE3.. not main or pleasant. I guess that's the same, but different.
Remember when to dial local, you only had to enter the last digit of the local prefix? Ours was 623, and you dialed 3 and then the 4-digit number.

well, the motor came, the vendor (ebay ) was an idiot. They put a motor in a single layered cardboard box and sent it UPS. Needless to say, STUPID.
The mounting plate was a pretzel, the shaft survived, the fan enclosure needs work.
So I pay $47 for shipping, and you can't double layer the box, you can't include a piece of ply.
This was an industrial reseller in Kentucky. Do you think they have shipped before ????:no no no::burned up::burned up:

That may seem old to some, but I can remember when our phone number was Pleasant 4629.
Mom tells me stories of the couple years she spent in Australia as a teen where all the neighbors were on a ‘party line’…
You had to wait until the neighbor got off the phone to use it. And they could be nosy and listen to your conversations…

Wow, Bruce! I paid $1200 for mine, and that one is even slightly cleaner, so this message bears repeating!
:you suck::you suck:
Well, full disclosure is I bought 2 of the 1/2" round Mesa Tools tool holders too. Those ran around $80 so I'm up to $230 total.

Bruce

Time for a new belt for the Nardini. One of the final purchases for the lathe before it's done!

I was worried about how much matched belts might cost. Turns out I can use a banded belt (in my case 4/3VX710) that costs as much for a 4-ganger as a pair of matched singles (I need 4), so I'm relieved to say new Gates banded belts cost quite a bit less than a 5-gallon bucket of anything made by Mobil, so all in all as a maintenance item the belts are not very expensive. Thank dog for that, I'm spent out.

style4-3vx_849c0c81-a367-4874-a448-2556ae788566.png81mLA2-n1oL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Mom tells me stories of the couple years she spent in Australia as a teen where all the neighbors were on a ‘party line’…
You had to wait until the neighbor got off the phone to use it. And they could be nosy and listen to your conversations…
When we moved to a rural area outside Janesville WI in the late 1950’s we were on a 5-party line. Our ring was 2 short and 1 long. All the different rings were heard by everyone on the line. We had one nosy neighbor that would try to listen in on everyone’s calls. Luckily, we could hear when she picked up the phone. Sometimes we’d just say hello to her. Other times we would tell outrageous stories just to see how far she would spread them.

Last edited:
We had a party line when I was a little kid, Mom had to explain why I couldn't listen to other people's calls. We only had to dial the last 4 to call local as well, at least the street was paved!

Back