What Did You Buy Today?

So, I'm in "therapy" for a few things from "work". One of the things we want to try is for me to talk through previous events, record them and re-listen to them between sessions.

I'm a vintage audio guy, So I'd like to record on cassettes on my pioneer CT-F70 deck. I need two mono microphones, so I grabbed a couple off ebay:

1.jpg

Nothing special really, But most of my stuff is Sansui so these will go in the room nicely. They're not high end by any means, but I'm only recording my own voice so no worries. They're essentially just a little better than the old microphones you used to get with tape recorders. But they're nice and solid. Aluminum bodies and metal stands. A bit o a rarity as most microphones are plastic bodies (for lightness), even back in the early 70's when these were made.

They're missing their cables, but that's not a big problem. I'll just make up a couple from the assorted audio odds and sods I have lying around....and whatever can't be bought or found, I'll just make on the 3d printer.

Last edited:
well, the motor came, the vendor (ebay ) was an idiot. They put a motor in a single layered cardboard box and sent it UPS. Needless to say, STUPID.
The mounting plate was a pretzel, the shaft survived, the fan enclosure needs work.
So I pay $47 for shipping, and you can't double layer the box, you can't include a piece of ply.
This was an industrial reseller in Kentucky. Do you think they have shipped before ????:no no no::burned up::burned up:
I’ve been lucky: the few times I’ve had shipping issues the Seller made me whole: message them and see what they say. If they won’t help, eBay will fix it. Doesn’t help your immediate need, but at least you’ll get a refund.

I’ve been lucky: the few times I’ve had shipping issues the Seller made me whole: message them and see what they say. If they won’t help, eBay will fix it. Doesn’t help your immediate need, but at least you’ll get a refund.
I haven't tested the motor, but I straightened the plate, it took under 1 hour, had to use the hydraulic press to get it flat again. The ears were bent all the way back but the plate was also curled. Hammered out the fan shroud using a soft nylon hammer to avoid making a mess of it. Came out pretty good , I was impressed with my own work, and I'm usually pretty critical. I'll fire it up maybe tomorrow using my rotary phase converter. My wife walked into the shop while I was unpacking it, because I was talking to myself loudly... Even she couldn't believe that it was shipped that way.
I already sent the seller a message. I didn't hear back yet.,

woodchucker - I'm happy to hear that you got it squared away. Hope you soon get a favorable response from the seller/shipper!

So, I'm in "therapy" for a few things from "work". One of the things we want to try is for me to talk through previous events, record them and re-listen to them between sessions.

Sounds like prolonged exposure therapy for PTSD. It works, but it is not fun.

Grabbed a couple "Hi balls" to use until I get the sansui cables figured out:

Relatively inexpensive and made for RS by Shur. Supposedly the equivalent of the Shur SM57, but I'm pretty confident that even though they might have been made by Shur, they very likely were different specs (RS is/was a "bargain" priced business, remember?) or parts that didn't quite live up to their standards for the SM57.

Still, they're plug in ready and will work for what I want them for. Will look cool in the vintage audio room as well...."back to the future" with the 80's "garage band" vibe!

Last edited:

I'm a vintage audio guy, So I'd like to record on cassettes on my pioneer CT-F70 deck. I need two mono microphones, so I grabbed a couple off ebay:

View attachment 441649

Nothing special really, But most of my stuff is Sansui so these will go in the room nicely. They're not high end by any means, but I'm only recording my own voice so no worries. They're essentially just a little better than the old microphones you used to get with tape recorders. But they're nice and solid. Aluminum bodies and metal stands. A bit o a rarity as most microphones are plastic bodies (for lightness), even back in the early 70's when these were made.

They're missing their cables, but that's not a big problem. I'll just make up a couple from the assorted audio odds and sods I have lying around....and whatever can't be bought or found, I'll just make on the 3d printer.
I thought real audiophiles went reel to reel ..;)

Remember when to dial local, you only had to enter the last digit of the local prefix? Ours was 623, and you dialed 3 and then the 4-digit number.
How many folks recall party lines? Our ring was long-short-short.

well, the motor came, the vendor (ebay ) was an idiot. They put a motor in a single layered cardboard box and sent it UPS. Needless to say, STUPID.
The mounting plate was a pretzel, the shaft survived, the fan enclosure needs work.
So I pay $47 for shipping, and you can't double layer the box, you can't include a piece of ply.
This was an industrial reseller in Kentucky. Do you think they have shipped before ????:no no no::burned up::burned up:
Well, )&^%^

Back