What Did You Buy Today?

I thought real audiophiles went reel to reel ..;)
Too expensive and too much of a PITA for me.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people think obsolete gear is worth. They can keep their overpriced junk as far as I'm concerned. If I want to use magnetic tape, I use cassette....it's just too much of a hassle to do RtR. Both in using it and sourcing tape.

I've thought about buying a RtR unit a couple times. Not to use, just to go with the room theme. They're still too expensive for what would essentially be just a "wall hanger". Pretty much all my vintage stuff works or is on the schedule for repair, I mostly don't buy gear that I won't use or can't repair. I also don't think I've ever paid over 100 bucks for any of my gear.....oh, wait a second, I forgot: I paid 300 bucks for my Sansui 8080DB, but those are going for over a grand these days in working condition, so it was worth the squeeze.

I got a couple 8 track receiver/players on the parts shelves if that works for ya!

LOL!

I'm primarily a vinyl guy anyways.....

Last edited:
I refinanced just under $30K in unsecured debt from about 25% APR down to 14.24% APR. That one phone call saves us just under $10K in interest over 3 years. The lender is Prosper.

Debt & poverty go together hand in hand. It will take us years to become debt free. Work work work.

I found it weighs 140 lbs. without the chuck attached.
Boy you are a lot stronger than me. I've got a import BS1. It will swing 10" max but even with a 6" chuck mounted it is plenty heavy for me. What little I've used it has been mostly between centers with a drive dog. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, no nearby used dealers for me.

I got my HSS parting tool working better, but decided to take the plunge into inserted parting tools. I found an Iscar DGTR tool for a great price, as well as some inserts, on Ebay. I’m waiting on the extractor tool to install the inserts. In the meantime, I got an offer I couldn’t refuse from a seller for an SGTFR tool for the self grip inserts that I had in my watch list, so now I gave two parting tools. I’m setting one up with inserts for steel, and the other for aluminum. I guess we’ll see how much a difference the inserts make in a hobby environment. Both tools looked like they were never used, it’s nice getting name brands for a fraction of new prices.

972ABBEF-424B-4904-9A15-05EF29673333.jpeg8265EB2D-4345-428D-A19E-1CFD9977E9F9.jpeg

$3425.09 on eight new tires. It was necessary but, I can think of so many more things I would rather spend the money on!
View attachment 441932
Been there, done that, MANY time over the last 40 years.
Got the Tee shirts, vests, coats and award plaques to show for it!
30 years OTR, O/O with CRST Malone flatbed.
Potato digger en route to Hermiston, OR. Circa 1993

MN-OR-2.jpg

Debt & poverty go together hand in hand. It will take us years to become debt free. Work work work.
Ha ha. Reminds me of the time my boss was trying to convince me to get a twin engine airplane. I pleaded that I couldn't afford it. He said "I know how much you make, you can afford it." I said "you know how much I make, but you don't know how much I spend".

He went away laughing.

Been there, done that, MANY time over the last 40 years.
Got the Tee shirts, vests, coats and award plaques to show for it!
30 years OTR, O/O with CRST Malone flatbed.
Potato digger en route to Hermiston, OR. Circa 1993
My trailer moves so few miles per year it just seems like a waste. I need the equipment that's inside so, it is what it is. The next big expense will be having the kingpin built up for $1500, it's at 85%.

Has anyone noticed that it's difficult to find Vactra 2 in 1 gallon jugs?

20230321_082958.jpg

At least now I have a lifetime supply... maybe...

McMaster has these 5 gallon buckets for $199.00... Grainger lists them for $204.00... MSC has them priced at $407.00...? That's gotta be a misprint...

-Bear

Back