What Did You Buy Today?

Belts... I tried a small Sony boom box the other day and it was the belts. I have a bunch of music on tape, and wanted to hear some of the tunes. I tried an oring, but too much tension.. don't know if it's worth order the belts, there's a kit with all different sizes for them.
Yep, belts are a given on old cassete players. The rubber breaks down and just turns to either dust or goo....

How long is the back order? I see PM has the 1236 PEP in stock.
Due Griz 4/23. I looked at the PM1236, but gear changes for threading and some features were lacking for me. The T model was out of my budget. I think deciding factor was parts inventory. Many love and hate customer service of both.

John

I ordered the VFD for my new motor for the Clausing (edit: a couple of days ago). Amazon said it would be here on Tues when it showed me the item. I placed the order.
It then said Thursday as a green delivery, and a coupon or credit for music, OR click to still get it Tues. I wanted it Tues, so I clicked Tuesday.
Now it says (after completing the order and seeing if it's on schedule) I won't get it until Thurs and no credit.
That company has destroyed many a small business, and now it's destroying itself. It's a bait and switch company.
This is why my purchases on Amazon have dwindled to very few. I can't understand why they aren't prosecuted for their bait and switch tactics. At least for me, they are now my last resort. Didn't used to be that way, but repeatedly not living up to their promises after charging for those services have me determined to minimize my interactions with them.

Stopped at a pawn shop to see what was available. Surprisingly didn’t have much of machinist tools. Some garbage and then a lonely mitutoyo caliper. 6” model looks like it had never been used not a scratch on the blade faces. First time at a pawn store so when I asked him the price I immediately cut it in half. He said yes so 40 dollars it was. I should have said 25 he was too quick to say yes. Either way good deal in my book.5A4A2416-5717-42C5-BA4E-4763B5F8E777.jpeg

This is why my purchases on Amazon have dwindled to very few. I can't understand why they aren't prosecuted for their bait and switch tactics. At least for me, they are now my last resort. Didn't used to be that way, but repeatedly not living up to their promises after charging for those services have me determined to minimize my interactions with them.
It seems like all e-stores play the bait and switch. My yearly interaction w/Amazon is just enough to justify my Prime membership with Mr Bezos. My experience is Walmart is the worst...

I did have an Totally opposite experience with GoVets.com. I was shopping for a 18" x 24" x 3" surface reference. They had one (with good specs) and stand for $229.14, delivered. It said "In Stock". When I went to check out, it changed to "Out of Stock" or "Backordered". A Sales Rep popped-up and asked if I had any questions so I asked. He said it was In Stock. Hmm.. Since I was paying with PayPal, I figured what the heck. It came within the week, as was as expected; Grade B surface, no nicks or scratches and the stand a nice grey hammer tone surface and sufficiently stable for hobby work (have it on casters anyway - always one level orientation!).

You just never know...

John

It seems like all e-stores play the bait and switch. My yearly interaction w/Amazon is just enough to justify my Prime membership with Mr Bezos. My experience is Walmart is the worst...

I did have an Totally opposite experience with GoVets.com. I was shopping for a 18" x 24" x 3" surface reference. They had one (with good specs) and stand for $229.14, delivered. It said "In Stock". When I went to check out, it changed to "Out of Stock" or "Backordered". A Sales Rep popped-up and asked if I had any questions so I asked. He said it was In Stock. Hmm.. Since I was paying with PayPal, I figured what the heck. It came within the week, as was as expected; Grade B surface, no nicks or scratches and the stand a nice grey hammer tone surface and sufficiently stable for hobby work (have it on casters anyway - always one level orientation!).

You just never know...

John
I've purchased from GoVets via Amazon (3rd party) and have never been disappointed.

I usually check several sources when making purchases to see who has the best overall deal (and more recently, who has what I'm looking for in stock - Unlike Zoro, Penn Tool does not say what is in stock and what is backordered for up to several months, so I call them). With Amazon, I take into account the cash back I get, plus for items I don't need quickly any "digital rewards:" these pay for my Kindle purchases and my AcornTV subscription via Prime Video. Over the years there have been a few hiccups, but usually due to USPS not getting something to the local warehouse (or delivered from the local warehouse - logistics is complicated, and unlike some clients I worked with in the past, I don't have a degree in it).

Well, figured I'd like a way to listen to my tapes that was portable. mainly so I can re-listen to my therapy recordings whenever and wherever I wanted.

I've got studio monitor headphones, but you're limited to within 5-10 feet of the player.

Cruised ebay and a walkman showed up for 5 bucks plus shipping:

View attachment 442013

Non-working. Manufactured 1990. Few light scuffs, but otherwise decent cosmetics.

Like most of us that grew up/through the 80's. I had a walkman. It was just a little older than this one, being one of the original blue models.

While I was contemplating if I wanted to take a chance on it, the seller made an offer of 3 bucks. Heck, I spend more than that on coffee in a day. Shipping kicked it up to 22 bucks US.

Once it gets here, I'll pull it apart and check it over. There's a little battery leak damage on the contacts, but only on the contacts. That the belts have likely turned to goo is a given, but I may wait to order a set until after I've confirmed the belts are actually bad. If they are, it will be a couple new belts and I'll probably replace the ear phone foam (foams are personal hygiene thing for me).

Not a bad price for a little 80's retro tech......now to find out if it can be made functional again.
Well, surprise surprise. The seller backed out.

But, was able to find one in better condition for a few bucks more:

a.jpg

b.jpg

Or maybe it was just cleaned and polished a bit....who knows, but it certainly looks nicer than the previous one.

Good thing is the replacement belts I ordered won't go to waste.....

Also grabbed a cheapie panasonic one:

c.jpg

Also non functional. This one is just a personal recorder, mono only. Something to play around with and see if I can repair it. Likely the belts, like all these tape players, the belts turn to goo after 15-20 years and need to be replaced.

Last edited:
I did it again! Was scouring eBay for a deal on micrometers heads for a maybe project when I found this NOS 464P (yes, of course I bought it):

Starrett 464P 1_4in.jpg
What am I going to use it for? I have no idea – but isn't it cute?? Much more compact than the 460A which is all they have now:

460A.jpeg

Back