What Did You Buy Today?

The chuck is worth a few bucks . Should be a screw on model .

We went 'junking' today at one of the antique malls...

I found this...

20230325_114830.jpg

20230325_114901.jpg

It's a Craftsman 'Kennedy clone' in good condition... the paint is a little faded, the top has been spray painted black, and the keys are missing, but all the drawer felt is still there, in good condition and pretty clean. The drawers all open smoothly, and there are no noticeable dents in the box.

For $35, I decided to take it home.

I'll try to find a close match to the brown paint and repaint the outside... and see if I can find a replacement lock cylinder.

-Bear

I found this...

View attachment 442482

View attachment 442483

It's a Craftsman 'Kennedy clone' in good condition... the paint is a little faded, the top has been spray painted black, and the keys are missing, but all the drawer felt is still there, in good condition and pretty clean. The drawers all open smoothly, and there are no noticeable dents in the box.

I'll try to find a close match to the brown paint and repaint the outside... and see if I can find a replacement lock cylinder.

-Bear
Could have been made by Kennedy, but the Kennedy people generally deny that Kennedy made chests for Sears except maybe the occasional small batch. This in spite of the similarity in the drawer pulls. Of course, Kennedy used pins that dropped through the front to lock the cover plate when the lid was closed, not a swinging tooth on the key lock the way this box does.

More likely it was made by Waterloo or Park, neither of which would be any particular detriment. Locks were generally bought from third-party suppliers. I know of one case where the lock on a Waterloo-made Craftsman chest had a KY code, which Gerstner also used and for which they still sell keys, and the owner got the correct key from Gerstner. It didn't have the crown shape, of course, but it worked. Look and see if there is a code on the lock barrel.

I owned a Sears box just like this one that was a Christmas gift from my parents in perhaps 1970 or so. Unfortunately it was stolen in 1982 along with a small but expensive set of Snap-On tools that had absorbed all my discretionary cash as an apprentice mechanic in the late 70's. Since then, I have acquired various vintages of Craftsman mechanic boxes, and machinist boxes made by Gerstner, Kennedy, and Park. But I still miss that old Craftsman box.

Rick "rarely finds good toolboxes around here" Denney

Could have been made by Kennedy, but the Kennedy people generally deny that Kennedy made chests for Sears except maybe the occasional small batch. This in spite of the similarity in the drawer pulls. Of course, Kennedy used pins that dropped through the front to lock the cover plate when the lid was closed, not a swinging tooth on the key lock the way this box does.

More likely it was made by Waterloo or Park, neither of which would be any particular detriment. Locks were generally bought from third-party suppliers. I know of one case where the lock on a Waterloo-made Craftsman chest had a KY code, which Gerstner also used and for which they still sell keys, and the owner got the correct key from Gerstner. It didn't have the crown shape, of course, but it worked. Look and see if there is a code on the lock barrel.

I owned a Sears box just like this one that was a Christmas gift from my parents in perhaps 1970 or so. Unfortunately it was stolen in 1982 along with a small but expensive set of Snap-On tools that had absorbed all my discretionary cash as an apprentice mechanic in the late 70's. Since then, I have acquired various vintages of Craftsman mechanic boxes, and machinist boxes made by Gerstner, Kennedy, and Park. But I still miss that old Craftsman box.

Rick "rarely finds good toolboxes around here" Denney

From what I'm reading, the Craftsman boxes with the two indentations next to the lock cylinder were made by Waterloo.

The Kennedy made boxes had the double wall front panel with the locking pins... this box has a single wall front panel and no pins, and it has the indentations, so it is likely a Waterloo box.

-Bear

I found this...

View attachment 442482

View attachment 442483

-Bear
I’d leave it as found if everything’s functional.

John

A friend and I were bidding on items in a Chicagoland auction today (he is nearby, I am in Virginia nowadays)... one thing led to another and now he is picking up a bridgeport clone (~1989 Enco, for him) and Bridgeport (w/ 2-axis DRO and power feed) for me. Sight unseen, $2200 hammer price for the Bridgeport. Hope it's in decent shape, at least by the time we get it here. Almost no information available on its type/history besides "1.5hp, ram type, 42x9, power feed, 2-axis DRO" ... so we'll see how this goes!

I have had very little luck sourcing Bridgeports or clones in this area. When they have come up in auctions on occasion, there are usually timing/logistical barriers to me being able to bid+pickup -- or they are extremely expensive

View attachment 442354
I've got an Enco branded clone of that exact same DRO. Has anyone had any luck converting it to use a Touch DRO?

Back