What Did You Buy Today?

Obviously you’ve never worked in a shop with 2 dozen or more machinists from Germany or of German heritage. Some of the stuff they eat for lunch produces gas potent enough to bend the needle on an indicator and cause anyone within a 50 foot radius to tear up and gasp for breath. Been there done that.

A while back I bought a nice new chuck for my 50 year old drill press. The key that came with it flops around like a fish out of water. Just ordered a new, hopefully good one. Also ordered a set of Japanese hardness testing files. I've never even seen any first hand. I've done some tool steel heat treating but no clue about what the results really were. Might need some clues about how to use the testing files. I've watched some shaky YouTube videos. Anyone recommend the best ones?

Obviously you’ve never worked in a shop with 2 dozen or more machinists from Germany or of German heritage. Some of the stuff they eat for lunch produces gas potent enough to bend the needle on an indicator and cause anyone within a 50 foot radius to tear up and gasp for breath. Been there done that.
Or with someone who is serious about weight lifting.

Had a guy who consumed a boat-load of protein while he was stacking. He would fart and clear out an entire 20,000 square foot hangar. We would open all the hangar doors (essentially the entire front wall of the hangar was open) and it would take a good 30 minutes for it to clear where you wouldn't gag when inside. We actually had around 100 people standing out in the rain one day because we all refused to go back inside.....the SAMEO came out of his office to see why no work was being done and literally RAN out the open hangar doors and threw up on the grass! That guy was toxic, I'm still pretty sure he should have had a biohazard sticker on his coveralls.....

Last edited:
An air compressor is one tool I don't own.
The back of my city lot abuts a factory wall.
I have gotten to know the owner real well.
He had his maintenance guy put an air tap through the concrete block wall behind my garage.
It is hooked to a 75 HP screw type air compressor that runs 24/7/365.
Maybe they’ll let you tap into their 3-phase power?

Needed something that I could feed down an engine cylinder and look back up at the valves and seats:

View attachment 451020

I've already got an "inspection camera", but it won't turn around in the cylinder so I can look back up at the valves.

120 bucks all in, so at least it wasn't too painful......

I just bought another inspection (sewer) camera. At almost $10k………

EC2BA166-C157-41C4-A3F0-DFCAB930E5A4.jpeg

Bought over $200 of NOS Nicholson files and a 2-3” Starret micrometer. Pictures to follow later as we are on the road.

Here we are. Almost a week later. Mostly Nicholson NOS and Stubs out of the UK and a couple of Wardings to try out. I ran out of handles! The Starrett 436 2-3 was spotted as I was walking back to the counter, hardly used if at all.
2BE3884C-0F28-4B1A-9B3D-C32CC869C27A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered some off eBay from seller "zimi-hk", 20 inserts for $16 including shipping. I've had really good luck with this eBay seller, probably have the inserts by 1/20/2019.

Thanks again for the tip,

Bruce
Ive looked all over ebay for this "zimi-hk" guy and have not found his store. Did he quit selling on eBay?

Back