What Did You Buy Today?

At hgr when it sits for so long and doesnt sell it goes in the scrap metal pile. This was sitting on a pallet all torn apart and I was told the ram was all bound up and wouldnt budge. I saw it and asked about it and they were like yeah that is supposed to go to scrap since its broken. So I offered them 150 bucks and they loaded it up on the trailer with a few other things I bought. Got it home disassembeled the remaining parts and cleaned off all the grease and it works. Does need a few new pins made but thats no big deal.

Its sad ive seen multiple horzt mills get loaded up on the scrap truck while im there and my Pratt and Whitney lathe almost suffered the same fate. If I had more room Id try to save them all.

They claim that unsold equipment goes to 'scrap'... but I've heard that much of it is sold in bulk and exported to 'underdeveloped' countries... in many cases, that may be the same as 'scrapping' it...

I don't know that to be a fact... I've just heard that... from a fairly reliable source.

On the other hand, there is a lot of equipment that doesn't sell for a reason... it IS junk... and ready to be scrapped.

-Bear

At hgr when it sits for so long and doesnt sell it goes in the scrap metal pile. This was sitting on a pallet all torn apart and I was told the ram was all bound up and wouldnt budge. I saw it and asked about it and they were like yeah that is supposed to go to scrap since its broken. So I offered them 150 bucks and they loaded it up on the trailer with a few other things I bought. Got it home disassembeled the remaining parts and cleaned off all the grease and it works. Does need a few new pins made but thats no big deal.

Its sad ive seen multiple horzt mills get loaded up on the scrap truck while im there and my Pratt and Whitney lathe almost suffered the same fate. If I had more room Id try to save them all.
Wow, hgr sounds like a blessing and a curse. A little bit like how I feel in the dog pound, but can’t save ‘em all. Good thing I’m not close :) And here I’ve heard guys say Texas is a machine tool desert. That has never made sense to me. Around here I’ve not found a scrap yard for machines. Most times it’s in estate sales you find the deals and the last stop so to speak is CL free. My fellow H-M junkyard dog mickri and I watch out for each other and pass along to each other. One of his last headsup was this antique 3tn arbor press for free. Guy had beaten me there but had no idea what it was and I talked him out of it for $20 along with two axels and a bunch of metal. Chuck was happy for $20 and I got the metal for free. Win win.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 26
Interesting, the manager there told me there are multiple scrap companies that pick the stuff up. A few guys that make furniture out of some of the castings some goes to melt. Just glad I found this one buried behind the other machines and asked about it. Yeah HGR is like goodwill for machinists. Some great finds but also some hammered stuff. Usually ends up I go to pick something up and come home with 3 more things I found digging around.

Interesting, the manager there told me there are multiple scrap companies that pick the stuff up. A few guys that make furniture out of some of the castings some goes to melt. Just glad I found this one buried behind the other machines and asked about it. Yeah HGR is like goodwill for machinists. Some great finds but also some hammered stuff. Usually ends up I go to pick something up and come home with 3 more things I found digging around.
I forget why I read it but Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion-Dollar Trash Trade was a great read for me.

My first full time job was rebuilding VW air cooled engines in an all VW wrecking yard when I was 19yrsld. So it was a great combo of seeing the various reason stuff got tossed and often being in a place to get some crazy deals. Had to let 99% of them go. All of the stuff in that yard and the yard I went to after that were the final resting places as even the bare hulls were often cut up and used for restorations. Very little went to ultimate waste. It shaped my appreciation of things that were worth fixing and keeping.

I love that term goodwill for machinists. I guess that’s what I keep hoping to bumble onto like elephant graveyard for old iron.

I might have to check out junkyard planet. I think why I love the whole hgr piece besides being 20 mins from the house is its like digging for treasure. Reminds me of my late grandpa who I would go to swap meets with and he would buy old busted stuff then fix it. Now that I have my shop up kind of helps reconnect in a sort of way cause I know he is looking down going....its still good just make a new handle or reweld it. Plus the old stuff is always just sexier. Back when form and function were important.

when form and function were important.
This is an important factor that is a missing piece now that you mention it. To me form follows function and function comes from the knowledge of doing. Most of what I get from Harbor Freight is lacking because it’s from copying I think. They don’t use it, they just copy from an original. That’s my theory anyway. And when you add in the drive to profit you get junk. Many a time I feel like your grandpa, well I can fix it or use it to make something else. Even though its brand new. Often it’s saving grace is it’s cheap.

Another great book is Made in China….Poorly. Like Junkyard Planet it’s a behind the scenes look at the whole process and it’s where I formed my theory. Its all from the viewpoint of a Western guy who tries to help western entrepreneurs get things made in China and in many instances their product gets knocked off because the outfit they go to just decides to bypass the middleman, the original guy who brought it to them.

I've been wanting a large blueprint cabinet to store things like user manuals, etc. They usually sell for way more than I'm willing to pay, but this was at a local farm/equipment auction and I nabbed it for $75. The drawers open smoothly and are really clean inside...I'm sure the cat will put paw prints on it tonight :grin:

IMG_3950.JPG

Ok, I've determined that the clock does not work... so I took it apart and found that it operates on a generic clock action...

View attachment 451096

...which was exactly what I was expecting. The good thing about this is that it will be easy to replace... the bad thing is that I can't seem to find a replacement that isn't made in China...

Is there a source for good quality USA made replacement actions for these? If not, is there a 'better quality' import?

Thanks- Bear
Seiko clock movements are available, and though they are likely also made in China, they will conform to Seiko's build requirements. These are still cheapie movements, but better than the no-name movements that come out of the side door of whatever factory.

Or, you could find an old electric clock with a synchronous motor and figure out a way to get that in there. It would have to be plugged in, but that would be quite common for a vintage American electric wall clock.

Rick "not sure any American company ever made plastic quartz clock movements on these shores" Denney

As a continuation of the above thread, here are some of the items I got from the seller. First, a Hamilton power lift drafting table with a Vemco drafting machine. Always wanted one. There is a toe switch at the bottom front that gives it maybe 20" of vertical adjust. It seems like a lot...from too low to too high, so something for everybody.

View attachment 451388

I have a table exactly like that now being used by my wife for her stained-glass hobby. But I don't have the drafting machine. I have no use for it, but I still found myself a bit envious. Those were very nice drafting machines! I prefer that style to the K&E articulating arm style.

Rick "uses the computer now, but not without some shame" Denney

Back