What Did You Buy Today?

I ordered a 4"bullnose live center for my lathe. I'm going to build a special tool out of pipe to seat the rope packing rear main seal in a Jaguar engine. The Churchill tool for this task is around $500, which is too much to spend for a tool that I hope I only need one time.

Been wanting a good height gauge for a long time, and finally bit the bullet.
That is an interesting spread out vernier. Looks like it’s a bit easier and faster to read than my Starrett height gauge, which has the micrometer style tic marks every 0.025” and a vernier scale resolving that. I have to ask myself “let’s see, 75 plus 17 is…”, while your worst case is “50 plus 23” type math.

I did it again, found this on FB Marketplace; listed at $70, got it for $50:

Starrett 196A1Z 1953.jpg
Starrett 196A1 (now Z) Indicator Set. Well, but gently used, very good condition. Used by the seller's grandfather, then the seller who is now doing mostly ornamental work (has a little coal/charcoal forge in his garage shop, and the biggest Kant-Twist I've ever seen). You can just make out where the original owner (I assume) stamped the inside of the box "1953," so it's a year younger than I am. Current version:

Starrett 196A1Z Page.png

View attachment 435118
Starrett 196A1 (now Z) Indicator Set. Well, but gently used, very good condition. Used by the seller's grandfather, then the seller who is now doing mostly ornamental work (has a little coal/charcoal forge in his garage shop, and the biggest Kant-Twist I've ever seen). You can just make out where the original owner (I assume) stamped the inside of the box "1953," so it's a year younger than I am. Current version:

View attachment 435120
I bought one of those sets new when I first started running machine tools. That was over 50 years ago, and it still is my go-to indicator. The attachments and mounting options give it a versatility that makes it ideal for someone that can't afford a whole fleet of indicators. Mine spends most of it's time on a flexible magnetic base, but regularly I get out the parts from the box to do a particular set-up.

View attachment 435118

View attachment 435120

That’s a fun addition for stuff that is still listed as new.

4ED9F3B6-CDDB-4538-A048-0A50BA24102F.png

Rick “paid $75” Denney

Two quantity 5mm (.200”) carbon electrodes for $28.14 delivered.

Among other things, these are used for fusion welding with a stick welder. That is, when you want to stick weld something where no filler material is needed.

In my case, I will probably use these for “washing” weld beads using a stick welder.

Ideally, one would lay down a bead that does not need to be washed, but when you need more penetration, blending or getting a toe of the weld to tie in, a regular stick electrode will add more filler while fixing these problems.

74B3B0C8-FFE6-4C80-92D4-4D6065452C1E.png

5mm was the only size that I saw offered for sale, but I did not search all that much. It will be interesting to see what kind of an arc I get at varying amperages.

Last edited:
I’ve wanted to replace my BP clone for a while now. It’s rough and worn but was only $800 with a generic 6” vice, collets and DRO. I tore down the head, replaced the spindle bearing and another part, I forget the name. Anyway, it’s been running in back gears for a while and I haven’t been eager to go back into it.

A month or so ago a machine shop posted a Lagun FT-2S for sale. I was quite interested but talked myself out of it. Anyway, the stars lined up and and I bought it today. I have to arrange a trailer to pick it up another day. It’s tight and clean for being 20 years old. It comes with the Kurt D675 (same as my other one) vise and has a Mitutoyo DRO. They were asking $3K but they settled for 2.5 and a tour of their shop. 3, 4 & 5 axis Haas centers, 2 other manual Laguns, manual and CNC lathes, an awesome inspection room. I’m not a machinist and this was my first time in a legit shop. I was in heaven!

I’m not looking forward to moving these mills around but it’ll be worth it, though it will be bit before I can get to it.

Alas!

8EDB63FB-CC87-4017-BF18-8724B5E9D1D6.png8830CA34-23AE-4880-8FEE-5279E94F51BD.jpegCA2D6364-43D5-4F9B-9AB8-2AB30F7F2E27.jpeg

Arrived in the post yesterday — badger hair flowing brush from “The Brush Guys” in California. This one’s a 2”, I already have a 1” I bought years ago from Lee Valley but they no longer carry them. Absolutely beautiful tools for brushing shellac prior to padding.

1674956956361.jpeg

-frank

Some er40 collets 12-28mm now to get a er40 collet chuck for the 10f
18e2119f1a09e9ef1e1b11fd40dc9f8e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back