2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a little bit of a duplicate post because it originated out of another thread where I got some great advice.

I'm in the process of tooling up for my first mill and I just ordered a 5" Glacern vise with swivel base and their keyless chuck:

View attachment 225953 View attachment 225954

Great vise, I had one on my bench top mill and loved it. Perfect size. A great addition to that new vise is a speed handle.

I found that they didn't make a speed handle for this size mill but an even better solution if you have a welder is to cut a wrench in half and weld a ball on the end. I used ball bearings purchased off ebay but a cheaper solution is a hollow ball used to cap posts on metal fencing.

vise speed handle.JPG

Great vise, I had one on my bench top mill and loved it. Perfect size. A great addition to that new vise is a speed handle.

I found that they didn't make a speed handle for this size mill but an even better solution if you have a welder is to cut a wrench in half and weld a ball on the end. I used ball bearings purchased off ebay but a cheaper solution is a hollow ball used to cap posts on metal fencing.

View attachment 226035
Great idea - I do weld and I like the homemade tools - often a better solution.

What kind of mill do you have?

I recently got a vintage L. S. Starrett No. 196 Dial Test Indicator off ebay for $25. It works great. I bought it with the idea of making a head tramming tool for the BP, which I did. I'll post the the pics etc under the Projects forum when I get them arranged.
Starrett Plunger.jpg

Just got a brand new Etalon 6" dial caliper and depth base off ebay. Only saved about $70.00 over retail but it is worth the cost. I checked them on my gage blocks and they are dead on accurate as far as my eyes can tell. Unlike my Starrett and Mitutoyo calipers, the Etalon is accurate even at very small dimensions. I'm very impressed by the feel and workmanship as well so I'm pleased.

Okay, no more tools for me. Well, at least for the next 6 months or so. Well, I guess it depends on the tool ...

Earlier in the week, I was the high bidder in a Rockwell 31-730 disc/belt sander that came out of a local H.S. wood shop. Its all there including the saw dust haha.
It has a 230V 1.5 HP single phase motor located in the base housing. The disc is 12" and the belt is a 6" x 48". It has minor damage on the outer lower portion of the belt guard from being ran while not tracking properly. The edge of the belt was rubbing (outboard side) resulting in a deep grove. Its 16ga so an easy fix. I plan on rebuilding the entire machine and painting it darker grey with yellow guards. Its a vintage machine with metal adjustment knobs unlike the newer version with plastic knobs.
IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0453.JPG IMG_0457.JPG
Here you can see the "Flowing Wells school property tag"
IMG_0455.JPGIMG_0456.JPG
The cast iron tables are in great shape
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG

I was able to download a manual found online. I do have a question for you guys,
would there be any benefit in converting this machine to variable speed control (VFD) for general metal fabrication? I know some of the Burr Kings come set up with variable speed option.

Thank for the reply in advance.
Paco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back