2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So playdough was never high on your entertainment list. The wires do require a a third hand if you even want to come close to looking like you know what the word accuracy means.

Yeah, I know three wires are more accurate but when you are sneaking up on a class 3 fit, you can check tolerances 5-6 times or more. I've tried tape, I've tried modeling clay, and I've even tried holes in delrin to hold those stupid wires. Thing is, I thread different threads and diameter all the time and it is so much hassle to fuss with those wires and I meant what I said; I drop them all the time. Now I don't need to; a Tesa thread micrometer is a jewel to use. I haven't compared them to a three wire reading yet but I cut a 1/2-20 class 3 thread on a 1144 stressproof stud - running fit with zero play.

No, you can go play with your dough. I'll settle for my Tesa ... but I'll be smiling! :)

I haven't done it myself yet as I don't own a set of thread wires yet (on my list & I have a thread mic) but a few dabs of thick grease will hold the wires nicely.

I haven't done it myself yet as I don't own a set of thread wires yet (on my list & I have a thread mic) but a few dabs of thick grease will hold the wires nicely.

Depending on the source, the three wire technique is supposed to be more accurate. It is certainly the standard vs a thread mic but the sheer ease with which a mic allows you to work is worth a little less accuracy. I'm going to check mine the next chance I get, just to see if its a real concern. Personally, I've wanted a Tesa thread mic for years and years; I'm just stoked to have a set.

Went to Tractor supply last night, I needed a new tire for my tractor.. (didnt get one).
But I picked up one of these for 9.99..
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/barn-star-16-in-f-bar-clamp?cm_vc=-10005
While I haven't used it for real work, they seem to be ok, especially for the price. not copper clad so you couldn't safely weld with it.
The black oxide is still okay to weld with and neither will take a direct hit from the arc but spatter wipes/brushes off of either. The down side of the copper clad is they bind up with heavy clamping. I have two of each style (heavy duty) and I wouldn't buy copper again.

Bought a new parting blade kit with 2 blades, 10 inserts, wrenches and case, from Accusize Tools decent price $ 176.00 Cdn. and works extremely well No problem parting at 200 rpm with cross slide under power. Also ordered 10 extra .120 inserts at $5.50 each
2015121611184816368.jpg

After watching recommendations about which edition of the Machinery's Handbook to purchase, I bought Edition 25 (1996). I ordered it from Alibris and paid $35. It arrived in 5 days and is in "like new" condition.

Many thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction. I learned that I don't need the latest edition.

I'm learning a lot from the discussions on this site. You guys are terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back