2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day another tools acquired, first thing is this craftsman square, i usually buy better quality precision tools but i don't have half a meter long square and often find myself using rulers to extend my combination square, next i found this electric motor switch, its 3 phase up to 10HP, electric motor starters are more common but they need box and two more switches for a shop made machine i like this style better now i need to find an electric motor and use for it.
DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

Been wanting a surface grinder for a long while. Looked at a few used, a bunch new. Almost pulled trigger on a Grizzly but did not want China made. Between PM, Acer, Kent, Acra and Chevalier I thought Chevalier had the highest precision machine with features I wanted at a price I could live with. So I pulled trigger for a Chevalier SP 618 manual. Local dealer gave me screaming good price with understanding that they would supply no on site help in case of warranty work. So they beat this price considerably. Very nice machine, dialing in half a tenth is very easy, spindle is so quiet you can not tell its on if VFD or RFC is running in shop. I am very happy and out of shop funds for a good while. Chevalier stuff is all made in same factory and has been for years, I looked at a lot of Taiwan built machines, this seemed to be the best of the lot taking into consideration their long history selling SGs. It was a real pleasure to clean off machine, without taking a grinding pass at mounting surface nor the magnetic chuck, surface of chuck was flat all over in relation to spindle within .0001" I was dumfounded thought I would be spending a lot of time grinding it in. Flood coolant was an option and spendy, I went cheap and bought Grizzly's little flood coolant rig for a couple hundred , not great but keeps things wet and cool which is the goal.

info from another seller here http://www.machinetools4sale.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2060

...next i found this electric motor switch, its 3 phase up to 10HP, electric motor starters are more common but they need box and two more switches for a shop made machine i like this style better now i need to find an electric motor and use for it.
View attachment 240666
Is that a center-off forward/reverse switch? The "Ein/Aus" makes me think it might be.

Is that a center-off forward/reverse switch? The "Ein/Aus" makes me think it might be.

No this is only on / off switch with three contactors, i already disassembled it clean the contacts because i was getting resistance at one and assemble it also changed the plug for euro standard one, also got a lead on an old 10 hp electric motor with an broken mounting flange for cheap, i'll go and look at it later today, i have couple of dual rotation switches they are usually marked "1 0 1" meaning only one position is neutral, i'll attached picture.
DSC_0019.JPG

I did just that what i mentioned earlier today, i bought the electric motor its just under 10 Hp and someone painted it yellow, but is a beast extremely heavy all cast iron and no fan its sealed it's made by Rade koncar which is good quality domestic manufacture 1470 Rpm 6.9 Kw i did connected the switch i bought the other day and tested it it runs very smooth and i started thinking of making a big chop saw with a 400 mm stone, as the only thing for cutting i have now is an 4" angle grinder.
DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0001.JPG

Another day another tool, i went to a fellow machinist to buy this water pump i need for another project, but also bought two more strong clamps in the medium size, i've started using them and can't have enough of them.
DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

Can't have enough of Everything. LOL

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Been wanting a surface grinder for a long while. Looked at a few used, a bunch new. Almost pulled trigger on a Grizzly but did not want China made. Between PM, Acer, Kent, Acra and Chevalier I thought Chevalier had the highest precision machine with features I wanted at a price I could live with. So I pulled trigger for a Chevalier SP 618 manual. Local dealer gave me screaming good price with understanding that they would supply no on site help in case of warranty work. So they beat this price considerably. Very nice machine, dialing in half a tenth is very easy, spindle is so quiet you can not tell its on if VFD or RFC is running in shop. I am very happy and out of shop funds for a good while. Chevalier stuff is all made in same factory and has been for years, I looked at a lot of Taiwan built machines, this seemed to be the best of the lot taking into consideration their long history selling SGs. It was a real pleasure to clean off machine, without taking a grinding pass at mounting surface nor the magnetic chuck, surface of chuck was flat all over in relation to spindle within .0001" I was dumfounded thought I would be spending a lot of time grinding it in. Flood coolant was an option and spendy, I went cheap and bought Grizzly's little flood coolant rig for a couple hundred , not great but keeps things wet and cool which is the goal.

info from another seller here http://www.machinetools4sale.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2060

Wow!!! Impressive machine, specs and price! Seriously, congratulations on your new machine.

Can't have enough of Everything. LOL

It's not that bad, and as i'm starting from zero i need a lot of stuff, i haven't einhaired any tools from my father, he is a person who doesn't know the difference between a straight and a phillips screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back