2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postman made my day a few days ago, four packages in one day! Got a center scope, D1-5 8" backing plate from CDCOtools.com, an 8" set-tru style 3-jaw chuck from CME tools in Madison Heights, MI, and an SDA laser edge finder off eBay.

Center scope works fine, throw it in a collet on the mill, flood the work with light and move the table to find a center/scribed line. This one has just one line (no cross hair) so I need to turn the scope 90 degrees to pick up a center.

The D1-5 8" backing plate and 8" set-tru style chuck are for my Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" lathe. I always thought the 6" stock chuck looked small, plus with the jaws flipped the max diameter the chuck would handle wasn't much over 6" (ran out of scroll travel sooner that other chucks I have). Installation and my thoughts on the chuck will be in a POTD posting. The backing plate from CDCO was around $60 plus shipping. Chuck from CME tools was just under $220 off eBay (seller niuniucme). As an aside, the chuck is "self-centering", not "self-centring" as the shipping crate describes it . . .

OK, we have all wondered about the SDA laser center/edge finder. Saw a concentric circle model and cross-hair model for $90 delivered for each on eBay; did a impulse buy on the cross-hair model after watching it for a couple of months. So how does it work? Well, it will not become my go to centering or edge finding device. Could be operator error, so your results my vary. I set a piece of paper with a cross-hair on it and rotated the spindle. The instructions indicate if you are seeing a circle, the center finder needs to be adjusted. The process is like truing a 4-jaw chuck, goes pretty quickly. There is a polarizing filter which when rotated dims the light and shrinks the lines/center point (I'd estimate the lines at about 0.005" wide and the center dot around 0.007"). I trued it and turned off the lights at my mill. Used a 3X magnifying visor and dialed the table onto the cross hair and zero'd my DRO. Then moved the table off center and repeated centering 6 times, and got within 0.003" each time. Not bad, but not great. Then removed the center finder and refit it in a collet. Spun the spindle and saw a circle about 0.015". I hadn't touched the adjustment on the laser, so must be inconsistency in my mill/collets/crap in the spindle? I can see a use for it, but I'll stick with a wiggler for now even though I doubt I'm repeatable within 0.003" with a wiggler.

Bruce

20170908_164458.jpg 20170908_164518.jpg 20170908_165258.jpg 20170908_165311.jpg 20170908_165506.jpg 20170908_165927.jpg 20170908_165940.jpg 20170910_143324.jpg

Nice looking compressor.
I need to install one of those Maxline systems in my basement.
I am getting tired of dragging the air hose around everything when I need it.

I'm more busy than ever but over the weekend asked around for end mills and today got a call, and bought them, they are new, some surface rust in spots, but what i did not realize is that they are morse 2 taper and the short one is morse 1 taper, i'm thinking should i cut them straight or make a sleeve and use them with the taper in the chuck, they are Clarkson made in england HSS. The plan is to use them in my lathe in coalition with the milling attachment i'm making here is a link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/is-lathe-milling-attachment-worth-making.61408/
DSC_0016.JPG

Sleeve
Have à few endmills from clarkson, Great stuff. Super hard.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

I finally got my new compressor installed. Now on to the MaxLine system install.View attachment 241438
When I moved into my new shop I used RapidAir (same company, RapidAir is the cheaper version) and love it. So fast & easy to install I keep moving and adding air stations as I need or no longer need them. I think the original kit was about $100 and did a full loop around my 20'x24' shop with maybe 3 stations. The MaxLine is a step or two above mine so I'm sure it will keep you happy! Oh, looks like a pretty nice compressor too!

Today after work i got a call from the older gentleman i bought the others end mills he has found couple more, this time they are straight shank, he also offered me those canter shanks, one new one welded, and the long center drill, at first i wanted to pass because it had only one good side but then i thought it's a piece of HSS tool steel for next to nothing, they are also Clarkson made in england, as last thing he also gave me this pink grinding stone, at first also did not wanted it but then realized is for an tool post grinder and is rated for 6600 RPM.
DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0013.JPG

Purchased a new Millermatic 252 to have a back up in the shop. In the past I always had two MIG machines incase of issues but in all honesty, I only had one machine break down in 30 years. Any how, Miller is offering a $300 mail in rebate and that brought the price down to $2200. The freight truck arrived at 5:30 pm and I quickly picked it and started unpacking it.
IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1507.JPG
Broke out a new 30# spool of .035 and installed the stinger, ground cable, hose and regulator. Pulled a full bottle of 25/70 shielding gas and plugged her in.
IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1509.JPG
Miller was generous with a power cable and cord cap (about 10'). It also came with a 15' M-25 stinger.
IMG_1513.JPG
Took some 1/4" scrap and tried her out. I was so excited,I forgot to put on my cheaters so go easy on me. My first bead with this machine nice and hot (21.0V and 375 wire speed).
IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1512.JPG
She's right at home with her big brother!

IMG_1514.JPG
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-252-mig-welder-m00218
Turn and burn!
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back