2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some trading today and ended up with three more lathes for winter projects.early 10" Sheldon KS model with older dc motor and control box..model c south bend and counter shaft Assy.missing tailstock.rusty.Dalton type B lot 4 .think 1918 model with change gears.all need some love and a bath..also 11" Sheldon stripped underdrive cabinet with bed..gotta take some pictures.wife says I'm a lathe whore..have 6 to clean up..never had more than 1 or 2..

Ebay flash sale. My Mitu set is too nice to be used for everything so I got me a beater set. Made in China but brand new, grade AS-2. The Mitu set is AS-1. Pretty nice for only $65 shipped!

View attachment 242946
Will, you have a good ref. for all the various grades? Grade 2 vs 3, AS1 vs Grade 3?

Sound like a good excuse for a mill upgrade

Would that I could. My current workshop packs in two motorcycles (mine); two Austrian mopeds (girlfriend's); my zero turn lawn mower (plus accessories); my floor drill press; a table saw (Unisaw); grinder; 12" disc sander plus assorted other items. All in a space about 10' x 25'. The Atlas has the benefit of easily fitting in my basement near my equally compact 7x14 mini lathe.

I'm working on a garage and workshop design that will not only provide me with all of the space I need but also free up about 1/4 acre of land that is wasted due to the poor placement of my current garage. But first, I have a daughter arriving in December and I'm afraid but, happy, that she will postpone everything.

Would that I could. My current workshop packs in two motorcycles (mine); two Austrian mopeds (girlfriend's); my zero turn lawn mower (plus accessories); my floor drill press; a table saw (Unisaw); grinder; 12" disc sander plus assorted other items. All in a space about 10' x 25'. The Atlas has the benefit of easily fitting in my basement near my equally compact 7x14 mini lathe.

I'm working on a garage and workshop design that will not only provide me with all of the space I need but also free up about 1/4 acre of land that is wasted due to the poor placement of my current garage. But first, I have a daughter arriving in December and I'm afraid but, happy, that she will postpone everything.

Glad My kids spread their wings à couple of years ago.
What you’re affraid for happened to me.

On the other hand I Recomended to see it as à challenge, it Will make life more beareble. I tried to make the kids aware that life cannot be always only them. And i always Pulles them in My diy work. Now they are Very self sufficiënt something I see slowly fade away with Lots of their age.
As for the space Well we dutch are Very good in rearranging small spaces to be Very usable and economic. We have to.

I had à few maten over from the states and Canada and they were all surprised how we handle space in general and often Very surprised how I managed that.

Grts.
Ted2

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Will, you have a good ref. for all the various grades? Grade 2 vs 3, AS1 vs Grade 3?

Alan, nope not really. I just briefly looked at Wiki when I was buying my sets. It covers the basic equivalents. In the end I don't care much really. I'm just a hobby guy so I don't need the highest grades, price was more important to me. Those high grades get pretty expensive!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block#Grades

Thanks Will, the wiki page is helpful, thanks. To be honest, I had seen that but didn't look at it deeply enough so thanks for causing me to do so.

I am trying to decide what level to spend. As you point out, I am not sure a hobbyist needs too much.

Obviously the Mitutoyo are nicer than the cheapies. Their hardness is such that a lightly used set may well be worth the incremental cost as compared to something like a new Shars set. You can buy an 81 piece Shars set for~$90 delivered and that may be a fine solution. BTW, the Shars set is a Grade B.

Thanks Will, the wiki page is helpful, thanks. To be honest, I had seen that but didn't look at it deeply enough so thanks for causing me to do so.

I am trying to decide what level to spend. As you point out, I am not sure a hobbyist needs too much.

Obviously the Mitutoyo are nicer than the cheapies. Their hardness is such that a lightly used set may well be worth the incremental cost as compared to something like a new Shars set. You can buy an 81 piece Shars set for~$90 delivered and that may be a fine solution. BTW, the Shars set is a Grade B.

When I was looking to buy my second set I was looking at either the HFS set or the CME set. The HFS set is the exact same one that Shars sells without the Shars name on it. I don't mind some Shars products but if I can find the same product without their branding on it I'd rather go with out their name on it. The HFS set is just slightly more at $89.99 shipped compared to $87.95 shipped for the Shars.

The CME set has slighty better tolerance, 50 millionths for the Shars/HFS, 30 millionths for the CME. I really didn't care since I have the Mitu set but with the nudge from a buddy here, it was a no brainer to get the CME set as it was also $10 cheaper, $79.50 shipped. I waited for a flash sale & got it for $64.50 shipped.

I've been waiting very patiently for a nice set of gauge blocks to pop up that I liked. Finally scored on the Mitu set. But it was too nice! If you're anything like me, if you find a nice set, you might just end up wanting to baby them too much & buy a second set like I did! Maybe I probably should have just bought the CME set to begin with & called it a day. :) (nah)

When I was looking to buy my second set I was looking at either the HFS set or the CME set. The HFS set is the exact same one that Shars sells without the Shars name on it. I don't mind some Shars products but if I can find the same product without their branding on it I'd rather go with out their name on it. The HFS set is just slightly more at $89.99 shipped compared to $87.95 shipped for the Shars.

The CME set has slighty better tolerance, 50 millionths for the Shars/HFS, 30 millionths for the CME. I really didn't care since I have the Mitu set but with the nudge from a buddy here, it was a no brainer to get the CME set as it was also $10 cheaper, $79.50 shipped. I waited for a flash sale & got it for $64.50 shipped.

I've been waiting very patiently for a nice set of gauge blocks to pop up that I liked. Finally scored on the Mitu set. But it was too nice! If you're anything like me, if you find a nice set, you might just end up wanting to baby them too much & buy a second set like I did! Maybe I probably should have just bought the CME set to begin with & called it a day. :) (nah)
If you can verify the set, that would be nice. Certs from China don't mean much to me. They just write what they want on some pieces. CME's rep is questionable too. So ring a few of your Mits and CMEs and see if they really are close to spec. Would like to know if they are that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back