2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought 7 of these from surplus center, $7 dollars each.
1 inch dia on big end.
checked it out on my lathe and welder, welds and machines okay..
think axels are 4130, seems a little harder than 1102
use will be mainly for arbors on my lathes

axel surplus center.JPGaxel surplus center.JPG

Charl

Vintage Sears Craftsman Kromedge Tap and Die set. Gentleman was downsizing, said he bough it new and only used it twice. Looks new. Date on the booklet is 1978. Says it's "Tool Steel", but it's hard enough to defy my files. $80.IMG_2168.jpgIMG_2169.jpg
Saw The Mentor at a church sale, History of Iron and Steel from 1918. Another dollar squandered.

Durn! You've got a much better Habitrail store than I've seen, either in Oregon or here in the Phoenix area. Congrats!!!

I placed a bid on publicsurpluss.com for a Chicago Dries&Krump 72" finger brake rated for 14 gauge mild steel. Well I won the bid and headed to Gilbert Az this morning after shift. I took some cribbing and rigging items to get the heavy brake loaded onto the dump trailer. The guy was kind enough to use their forklift but reminded me that its up to the buyer to arrange moving and loading. The brake was already outside when I arrived and I noticed they had forked it from the bottom portion of the upper beam clamp:(. The upper clamp came loose from the rear adjuster, nothing appeared to be bent on visual but damn that was a dumb move. I removed all the fingers and lighten the load a little, Then rigged it with soft straps and shackles and finally a rigging chain. I ran a solid 2" X 3" bar across the forks and used large C-clamps to secure the rig. The rigging chain has two hooks on each end and opposite of the hooks the chain (welded 3/8") terminated into a large 5/8" welded oval. The bar was run through the oval allowing the chains to be shortened through the shackles and hooked to the oval. The sides on the trailer are tall and his forklift was a single stage mast.
Once loaded I used all of the larger straps I normally carry on the truck. I also brought a bunch of edge protectors to keep the load from coming loose for the 130 mile ride home.

Here you can see the rear portion (mouse hole) that should rest or straddle the large adjusting round bar. You can also notice the rather large gap between the upper beam clamp and the bending apron. The big A$$ threaded rod that connects to the clamping lever is what prevented complete separation. Nothing was cracked, bent or damaged to the naked eye but I was very disappointed as I own the machine since yesterday. The bad thing about actions is once you pay thats it, done deal. The right rear crank lever is bent and the left lever is makeshift POS.
I did not express my displeasure with the way the machine was moved out , but after he saw it rigged and hanging ready for the trailer he realized he's is a bonehead. So the machine need some TLC, but I know a guy;). The ride home was long as I was on 2-2.5 hours of sleep from a busy night, any way she's home now. Too tired to unload it today, it will have to wait until Thursday morning after shift.
The fingers where loaded into the truck bed on a rubber matt to keep them from getting dinged up.
IMG_1907.JPG
Made it home.
IMG_1910.JPG
The fingers are in remarkable shape for an old machine. I only noticed one (6") finger that had evidence of some knucklehead bending rod, other wise a beautiful 1/8" radius on all fingers.
It looks like Its short one 2" finger, not bad. The fingers are worth some money.
4-2",2-3",2-4",3-5" and 4-6" fingers. The surface rust will come off rather easy. The lone 1" finger looks shop made.
IMG_1909.JPG
My plan is to unload the machine and reconnect the upper beam and check operation and bend quality. I'm hoping nothing is "sprung" and any fine tuning can be achieved with the three tensioning members and shims. If it proves not to be a boat anchor, I will completely tear it apart, sand blast and repaint. I will also upgrade the rear cranks.
Worst case scenario, I could sell the fingers and make money for my efforts as fingers are hard to come by, but I'm hoping for the best outcome.
Gona give Dreis&Krump a call tomorrow and see what the serial number reveals. Also check on a IPB and manual.
IMG_1912.JPG
Close up of the upper section that need to be reseated to the adjuster.
IMG_1913.JPG
Sorry for the long story, but everyone should know how to pick/lift a brake:).
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Paco, what do those go for out there ?.

Nice Paco, what do those go for out there ?.
Thanks dlane,
I got into a bidding war (sort of) with some pawn shop. My max bid (proxy style bidding) was $1599.99. I was limited to four crappy photos and didn't have the time to drive out to Gilbert to preview (by appointment only) prior to bidding so I took a chance.
Heres the actual screen shot of the results. It came close to my max bid.
I did have to pay tax (the man always gets his:bang head: ) and a processing fee. total was $1560.86 and $25.00 in diesel:confused:.
fullsizeoutput_600.jpeg

I'm very hopeful its not "sprung" and when its all said and done should be worth $6-8K (with some TLC). It should compliment the 8' x 12 gauge leaf brake we have. Used equipment in AZ fetch a bit of dough due to zero rust issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back