2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few more on-line pick ups.
<snip>
Impulse buy on eBay for a Starrett 196A5Z rear-plunger indicator. Frankly, don't have an intended use yet and don't know where/how it's used.
I bought my 196A5Z back in the mid '70s, when I had a Yamaha 350. Added a ~2 ½" length of ¼" aluminum rod to the little thread adapter and used it to find TDC on the cylinders thru the spark plug holes, making it easier to set the timing of the points. It was the first precision tool I ever bought. Served me well for several years. I still have it, but don't use it nearly as frequently any more.

Just had a thought - might be useful for tramming a mill - at least for the initial ±.001". The up-facing dial would be a lot easier to see than the usual dial indicator as it's swept around.

The back plungers are used widely, to tram and level machine tables. You got an awesome deal on it.

I’ve also used the back plunger indicator to tram motors and gear boxes.

Was in to the closest fastener supply house and found some random taps and dies on their clearance shelf.
All made in the US, and all at a fraction of original price!

20180110_201435.jpg20180110_201452.jpg

-brino

Today i went and visited a few flea markets, did lot of walking and bought those two old power generators, i've had very bad luck with new generators they are not build like they used to. On a different flea market i bought those to 3 phase switches, they are known for their reliability but i never know when i'll need one, so they'll go in the spare drawer, on the way back i also stopped and bought some more square steel to continue my tool post grinder build.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0024.JPGDSC_0031.JPG

I went to the shopping mall and while waiting for my girlfriend I bought Machinist Workshop and Homeshop machinist magazine. I’ll probably a regular reader. There’s plenty of interesting projects and advertised stuff to buy for reasonable price. Unfortunately I’m not in USA ...

I went to the shopping mall and while waiting for my girlfriend I bought Machinist Workshop and Homeshop machinist magazine. I’ll probably a regular reader. There’s plenty of interesting projects and advertised stuff to buy for reasonable price. Unfortunately I’m not in USA ...
I've got every issue of HSM since the first issue in I think 1982. It has really evolved over the years. Naturally a lot of the content is driven by the authors at the time. It's worth the subscription. One of these years I'll thumb through the back issues and generate a cumulative index.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back