2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the little 4x6 has had multiple failures in the last few months. I burned up a motor, chowdered a worm gear, and now the special little Harbor Freight power switch has failed. Each failure seemed to come at a time when it did the most damage to my productivity. I can't complain though. I've had the saw for years and I've been using it every single day for the last couple. I'd say I've gotten atleast five years of light commercial use out of it. That's far more than I ever expected to get out of it.

I had a deal offered on a nice 7x12 from Precision Mathews, but by the time I got around to buying it they had sold that one and are out of stock for another 6-8 weeks. I looked at Grizzly and it looks nice. Similar price to Precision Mathews, but I've heard a few claims that Grizzly QC may be slipping the last year or two. I thought about Harbor Freight again. I know they stock the little 4x6 locally, but I have not seen a larger saw on the floor in years. Still I thought if I can get five years daily use out of a bigger one it would do. I checked the price on-line and chased down a current coupon code for 20% off. I was just about to order one on-line and I decided to call the store to see if they had one. They had two. That would cost me an extra $20 in city sales tax on top of the state sales tax, but save me $90 freight and I'd have it today. (yesterday)

At the store it was a bit of a chore to get the saw out of a conex box, but the box/crate came out intact.

When I uncrated the saw back at the shop I was very pleasantly surprised. Its quite a lot better built than the smaller saw, has a coolant tank with pump if I want to run it, and of course has the pneumatic feed control for cutting thin wall tube. I have to say its the best built Harbor Freight tool I have seen in a long time. The first thing I did after getting it setup was throw a piece of 2" EMT in the saw, set the pneumatic feed, and watch it slice off the end. Oh, was that nice. I hardly even heard a change in pitch as it transitioned from the wide entry cut to cutting the thin sidewalls.

As much work and headache as the smaller saw has saved me this one will save me even more.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-7-inch-x-12-inch-hydraulic-feed-metal-cutting-bandsaw-97009.html

Nice saw Bob, I got a 4x6 saw yesterday off CL

Well the little 4x6 has had multiple failures in the last few months. I burned up a motor, chowdered a worm gear, and now the special little Harbor Freight power switch has failed. Each failure seemed to come at a time when it did the most damage to my productivity. I can't complain though. I've had the saw for years and I've been using it every single day for the last couple. I'd say I've gotten atleast five years of light commercial use out of it. That's far more than I ever expected to get out of it.

I had a deal offered on a nice 7x12 from Precision Mathews, but by the time I got around to buying it they had sold that one and are out of stock for another 6-8 weeks. I looked at Grizzly and it looks nice. Similar price to Precision Mathews, but I've heard a few claims that Grizzly QC may be slipping the last year or two. I thought about Harbor Freight again. I know they stock the little 4x6 locally, but I have not seen a larger saw on the floor in years. Still I thought if I can get five years daily use out of a bigger one it would do. I checked the price on-line and chased down a current coupon code for 20% off. I was just about to order one on-line and I decided to call the store to see if they had one. They had two. That would cost me an extra $20 in city sales tax on top of the state sales tax, but save me $90 freight and I'd have it today. (yesterday)

At the store it was a bit of a chore to get the saw out of a conex box, but the box/crate came out intact.

When I uncrated the saw back at the shop I was very pleasantly surprised. Its quite a lot better built than the smaller saw, has a coolant tank with pump if I want to run it, and of course has the pneumatic feed control for cutting thin wall tube. I have to say its the best built Harbor Freight tool I have seen in a long time. The first thing I did after getting it setup was throw a piece of 2" EMT in the saw, set the pneumatic feed, and watch it slice off the end. Oh, was that nice. I hardly even heard a change in pitch as it transitioned from the wide entry cut to cutting the thin sidewalls.

As much work and headache as the smaller saw has saved me this one will save me even more.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-7-inch-x-12-inch-hydraulic-feed-metal-cutting-bandsaw-97009.html

Bob, you are going to love that saw. I bought one 18 months ago and agree that it's better than most HF tools. Here's a POTD link to a mod I made on my saw to help get the coolant back into the tank.

Bruce

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-272#post-422579

You'll like that saw Bob, I have one from Princess Auto, Canada's poor excuse for Harbour Freight. I've had it 8 or 10 years now, wouldn't want to guess the blades its worn out but its never missed a beat. The blade cooling makes a HUGE difference. I was steady wearing out blades on the 4x6, they last for ever on this one wet, even running one step up on the pulleys when cutting steel.

Greg

I went to an auction today. The flier said 'machinist box with tools'. That had my interest.

When I got there, I headed to the first toolbox I saw-a Kennedy roll-around with a Kennedy top chest separated by some type of home-made mid-box thing. This box was FULL of end mills, taps, dies, drill bit, reamers, and various measuring tools. Some of the end mills and taps are still covered with their wax protectorant...never used. There are also a few adjustable parallels, a couple of V-blocks, and a step block. Also a Starrett depth micrometer, Starrett planer and shaper gage, one complete and one partial set of Starrett telescoping gages, and at least two Brown and Sharp Best Tests. Some of these have never been used either.
To tell the truth, I haven't had time to inventory the box, but I paid $300 for the box and contents, so I'm pretty sure I came out in the good. I know there are more micrometers, hole gages, radius gages, etc. I'll have to post back later on the contents if anyone is interested.

Edit: Oh, I forgot...a Twentieth Edition of Machinery's Handbook was nesting in the toolchest's book drawer. It doesn't look used either.

Congrats, sounds like you made out very well.

I went to an auction today. The flier said 'machinist box with tools'. That had my interest.

When I got there, I headed to the first toolbox I saw-a Kennedy roll-around with a Kennedy top chest separated by some type of home-made mid-box thing. This box was FULL of end mills, taps, dies, drill bit, reamers, and various measuring tools. Some of the end mills and taps are still covered with their wax protectorant...never used. There are also a few adjustable parallels, a couple of V-blocks, and a step block. Also a Starrett depth micrometer, Starrett planer and shaper gage, one complete and one partial set of Starrett telescoping gages, and at least two Brown and Sharp Best Tests. Some of these have never been used either.
To tell the truth, I haven't had time to inventory the box, but I paid $300 for the box and contents, so I'm pretty sure I came out in the good. I know there are more micrometers, hole gages, radius gages, etc. I'll have to post back later on the contents if anyone is interested.

Edit: Oh, I forgot...a Twentieth Edition of Machinery's Handbook was nesting in the toolchest's book drawer. It doesn't look used either.
I can take that kennedy top box and an endmill or two off your hands if its to much? Nice find though.

Yeah :you suck:

:congrats:

I drove down to Calaise Maine on Friday, between snowstorms, to pick up my latest Ebay purchase. The seller didn't ship to Canada, so I had it sent to my postal address in Calaise. This is a 15" Schultes Master Precision Level. The isolation material on the top, has a good chunk out of it, and that was shown in the sale pics, but that, in no way, affects the use of the level. The hand scraping looks excellent on the bottom. I don't think that it ever saw much use. On my way home, I stopped in to my buddies shop, calibrated it and we re-leveled his 13" South Bend with it. Some will say that these are too fussy to use, leveling a lathe, at .0005" per foot, but we had no problem at all. You do need a very light touch on the wrench.

IMG_1055 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1056 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1057 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1058 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1059 (1024x768).jpg

I know that there will be the inevitable question about what I paid for it. I paid $80.00 USD plus $18.00 shipping, then add in around $50.00 CAD in fuel. So right around $138.00 USD. I had never heard of the Schultes Level Co. before I bought this level. I am VERY pleased with my purchase. :)

Apparently, someone didn't read the label on the box... :eek 2:

Brian

BC, congrats, that level looks like a beauty. Love the flaking on the bottom.

Brento, let me get an inventory done and I'll get back to you on the end mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back