What Did You Buy Today?

I ran into a friend yesterday who informed me of a sale on LED bulbs at a small Ace hardware store. 100 watt equivalent warm white color temp. I bought the limit per customer which was 25. The were sale priced at 25 cents each!

I learned today that I’m a sucker for pretty much any machine. I brought this sewing machine home and spent a few hours trying to figure out how it operates. Great fun! Ended up running some pretty ugly stitches I guess they’re called. I can’t say I “needed” a sewing machine, but I did get a couple hours of fun out of it so far. Sadly, the internet is a little more stingy when it comes to manuals for sewing machines. I don’t expect anybody is interested in this purchase, so off I go. 287288

singer.jpg

@jwmay - You're not the only one. I picked this one up at Goodwill for $7.00 intending to strip it for parts for scrap art. Got curious, cleaned it up and lubed it, made the odd adjustment here and there and it sews perfectly.

Couldn't bring myself to destroy it, but I don't need a sewing machine either, so donated it to a "lending library". They have all sorts of things like telescopes and microscopes that they lend out and said they'd love to have the machine.

I learned two things about sewing machines, they like to be clean and oiled.
Long story, in 1983, I went to New York, to the garment section. Bought a, Brother's industrial sewing machine, took a taxi to Laguardia and flew it to Port-au-Prince to the factory I worked in.
Beautiful machines.

Hit a local Baltimore industrial/architectural salvage spot yesterday to get my birthday gift from my wife. Picked up a hand made tool chest and a few machining books. The tool chest was marked by the maker and I am doing research on him. Name was Clarence W. Itneyer and he died in 1985 at age 85 according to online records.

20190209_221200.jpg

20190209_221240.jpg

20190209_221228.jpg

20190209_221220.jpg

Last edited:
I traded in my old open station tractor for this one.
We've been having a real cold spell here, with temps dropping to -30C overnight. It sure is a LOT nicer to be sitting inside a heated cab than sittiing in the open, all bundled up and still freezing. I now look forward to moving the snow around, all toasty warm and listening to my favorite music.

I can even do it at night, since this thing has lights all over the place.

Picked up a Demagnetizers from a auction on Friday. Had to clean her up to be presentable.

She was dirty. Ended up cutting a piece of plastic to cover the top so when it sucks in the part unexpectedly I don’t scratch up the nice ground surface. This thing works pretty darn good I did acouple cutters I had lying around and after acouple slwipes I dropped in a pile of grinding dust and not a spec on the cutter.

Today, I bought wire & lugs to finish out my lathe. It really pays to shop around. I like to 1 stop shop if possible. Not today. The places that sell terminal connecters (lugs) want over $2 per foot for 12 gauge SIS wire. So, I found a reasonable ($0.27 per ft) source for wire & they don't sell lugs. All in all glad I saved over $200.

Now what came in today, is a good selection of nuts & washers from no6 to 1/4. I had to pad the order to get free shipping - so an assortment of keystock it was.

Today i stopped by a friend to buy couple of LPG valves, left one is for the gas and has a new filter fitted, the other is for shutting off the fuel to the carburetor, i have couple spare valves but all different makers, i wanted to use all Lovato parts so it will be easier to get the LPG conversion sirdifield i also pick up some oil to do an oil change on the Little Niva when i get the engine back together.

Back