What Did You Buy Today?

Got me a couple of marking gages. I believe they're for wood working but will work fine for my needs. Turns out these are a knock offs of the German Helios/Preisser ones which I found out after I received these. But that's ok, I still would have bought these instead.

Also got a couple pairs of discontinued Gibraltar adjustable c-clamps. Never seen anything like these before, not sure how strong they are. Should be fine for light duty.

And finally got me a refill of some more cutting fluid on sale at MSC. Figured I should buy a gallon now before they stop making it cause it's chlorinated & they have a new formula available now. I'm really happy with this stuff, used to use Tap Magic Aluminum but I can't stand that stuff anymore.

20190411_150004.jpg20190411_150130.jpg20190411_150211.jpg

I got a pretty good price on an 8" dia bearing ring.

It is precision ground and about 3/8" thick. I plan to use it as a mill tramming aid. I can mount an indicator in the spindle and indicate on this to avoid the Tslots. There may be more available if anyone is interested.

Robert

What did I get myself into this time?

Saw one of these in a tv series, sure it was placed there and panned many times as a subliminal sales ploy.

I bit !

Its a nixie clock kit. Hate to admit but I used electronics that had these for displays.

Interestingly none of these tubes seem to be available in North America, guess stock was purged when they became obsolete. Russia seams to have a good stock yet, this kit came from Lithuania with CCCP proudly etched in the glass. Guess they're like me and save everything.

Greg

I have a Nixie clock and I love it! Buy a coulple extra tubes if you can. They burn out occasionally.
Robert

Needed to replace the Woodworking band saw that died on me last year.
Grizzly had a sale on the 14" saws a few weeks ago so I ordered one.
I just got it set up and added a retractable caster set I had on hand.
Makes storing it out of the way easier since I don't use it everyday.
This is a nice band saw and needed very little adjusting.

A 14" bandsaw is one tool every hobbyist must have , it is so versatile, it cuts all sorts of materials ,it is inexpensive to buy, easy to set up, parts are readily available, doesn't take too much floor space, it is a great buy all around.

Garage sale stuff today: the son of a tool and die maker was selling off the contents of his Dad's shop.
They had already sold a lot of stuff so it was picked over already, but prices were good. Huot box
packed with number drills for 6 bucks, a 1/2 Jacobs chuck for $25.00, some parallels for $4.00. HSS tools,
the snugs and the hacksaw added up to $15.00. I think I did OK.

Any of you folks around Portland might want to head out there. Still had lots of drills, taps, boxes of new cemented
carbide tools, and so forth. He had a set of what I think were ER 40 collet chucks, some big boring bars,
boxes of carbide inserts and tool holders for the mill.

I got a pretty good price on an 8" dia bearing ring.

View attachment 292449

It is precision ground and about 3/8" thick. I plan to use it as a mill tramming aid. I can mount an indicator in the spindle and indicate on this to avoid the Tslots. There may be more available if anyone is interested.

Robert

Nice! I'd be interested in one. Could you send me the details? Thanks

Narex Vhu 1 3/8" (travel) boring and facing head with R-8 arbor. Not too often that you need a facing or larger boring head, but if the project is too large for the lathe, being able to bore/face/groove on the mill is nice. Checked to see what comes up occasionally over the years, most are usually too big, too expensive and often in not so good condition when the price is affordable. Wouldn't have minded getting the next size up, but the condition and price of this one was hard to pass up. It is also a more current style with replaceable carbide inserts. I have a 2" boring head, this one is 3" and with the extension you can bore to a 9" diameter.

I've been using a Central Machine horizontal/vertical band saw I got at an estate sale for a couple of years, but I've been looking for an old Craftsman horizontal. The CM just won't make a straight vertical cut no matter how much I adjust it. I finally found an old Craftsman. It's totally encrusted in dirt and crud, but it's all there minus a set of tires. I can't wait to get it cleaned up and running.

*I'd post photos but I still haven't been able to figure out how to upload them here. Maybe soon...

Back