What Did You Buy Today?

An 18KBTU MrCool DIY mini split arrived today. It is going in the attic electronics shop space. In a few days, I should be basking in the 72º instead of the current 85º.

An 18KBTU MrCool DIY mini split arrived today. It is going in the attic electronics shop space. In a few days, I should be basking in the 72º instead of the current 85º.

Nice, what's the sq-ft of the shop? It's been hot the last couple of days where I live. Today my 11.5k BTU portable (wheeled ones) a/c couldn't get below 79F even after 3hrs in my finished 440sq-ft garage/shop. It was 94F outside so I shouldn't complain too much.

Nice, what's the sq-ft of the shop? It's been hot the last couple of days where I live. Today my 11.5k BTU portable (wheeled ones) a/c couldn't get below 79F even after 3hrs in my finished 440sq-ft garage/shop. It was 94F outside so I shouldn't complain too much.
The space is 320 Sq. ft. and it is well insulated (R19 average). However,outside of the walls and ceiling is a dead space that heats up to more than 100ºF on sunny days. Supposedly, a 12K unit would have worked for me but I couldn't find one anywhere and I actually got a better price on the 1`8K unit.

What kind of holder does one use for the cutter on top right?
Thanks scruffy Ron in Ohio
I don't know what it was intended for, but the set screw marks make it look like a prior owner mounted it in a c-channel tool holder or a turret. I don't use inserts often, brazed or otherwise, so I may never find out.

I couldn't turn it down, too cheap. No marks in the clamping area so I'm guessing it was never used. China is the only marking. 4"W 5" jaw opening.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

Guess my pics aren't working or I can't post pics. It's a toolmakers vise but not the screwless type.

Trying again.
f05cc988cffaa3a41678aca18b05101d.jpg

It’s not a tool, but somewhere to store them. “Vintage” Nielsen engineers cabinet. Previous owner was a lathe operator / turner for Leyland cars back in the 60s.

B2EE9A8E-58C4-44A2-B731-15CE9AD02D77.jpeg55527BD2-5949-425B-BC9E-0D5B40060E96.jpegEFDAFBEC-6924-4511-8CCE-8A2654003D99.jpeg

So, it’s going to be the new home for all my measuring instruments.

Last edited:
Back