What Did You Buy Today?

I have two of those Weller soldering irons. Best automotive soldering iron out there!

I was going to throw mine away until I figured out that the first click was the high, and full pull was low heat.

Between those guns, and one of these military sets, I'm mixed as to which I like better. (Pic is from the web, mine has much more wear). I have several of the guns, I pick them up when I see them for $5 or less. But this new one is by far better then the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Between those guns, and one of these military sets, I'm mixed as to which I like better. (Pic is from the web, mine has much more wear). I have several of the guns, I pick them up when I see them for $5 or less. But this new one is by far better then the rest.
Ooh, I like that kit! I have a couple of Weller Army-issue irons, but never seen a soldering station version like that. I've probably got a dozen USA made irons (I solder a lot) so I don't really need any more, but I'll have to keep my eyes out for one of those.

I picked up the soldering station a few months back, and since it has been my go to iron. Although a lot of what I have done lately is replacing bad resistors on multimeter circuit boards, where the gun style would be hard to get in with.

On my recent travels I bought a few ER32 collets for the most common metric shank sizes on the cheap Chinese cutting tools off eBay. 12, 16 and 20mm Bison ER32 collets made in Poland. Direct from manufacturer, paid $45CAD for the 3. I know I'll regret not getting more but I still have access. Some small diameter spotting drills, 3 and 6mm, for smaller holes I've been getting by with center drills in a custom extension I made.
From a flea market in Poland a 16mm endmill with MT2 shank ($1.75) for those tall milling jobs where I don't have enough z height. A 5/16" slotting endmill and 2 sets of 4, 6, 8, 9, 10mm 3C collets.
Some 6x4mm pneumatic fittings for my diy 3d printer.
a5f140862dc24004c2646e5849c2e872.jpg

I have a small HF drill press vise and have been looking for a larger drill press vise. Saw this Stanley drill press vise on CL and the seller agreed to meet me just off the freeway on my way home from visiting the grand kids. $20 It's covered with oil and grime that I will clean off. Otherwise it seems to be in fairly good condition.

IMG_3750.JPG

I wonder if I can drill and tap the base for some angle iron mounting brackets. That would make it easier to mount on the table of the drill press. I'll figure something out.

Mickri, I turned my bench vise like yours into a "sine vise" by putting rods on the bottom of the vise parallel to the jaws, 5" apart. I can clamp this little vise in my milling machine vise, and stand up one end to whatever height gives the angle I want, just like you'd adjust a sine bar.

Bar height = 5" times sin (the angle you want)

The little notches on either side between the jaws look like it designed to be secured to a surface with some Z-shaped clamps. Admittedly not as quick to use as permanently mounted brackets/ears, but maybe not too bad.

Back