What Did You Buy Today?

So this metric threading device followed me home...

I've always been curious about these 9x20 lathes and one was available about 30 miles away at an extremely reasonable price. Damn that Craigslist! :grin:

Seriously though it was cheaper than buying a set of metric thread cutting gears for my Powermatic lathe, so that was my justification. I'll leave this one set up for metric threading. That is my story anyway, and so what if I never work in metric. :)

Very little tooling with it, just the 4" chuck and a drill chuck in the tail stock. It has the same spindle thread and tail stock taper as my 10x24 so a lot of my existing tooling will cross pollinate. It looks practically new despite being almost 26 years old, very clean, no rust or signs wear, everything is tight, just a few minor cosmetic blemishes. I've literally bought new stuff at Harbor Freight that was in worse condition. It is an older model so almost no plastic in it.

Ignore the dinged up handles, my clumsy ass caught the door frame bringing it in and boogered up the handles on the cross slide and compound. Already checked Grizzly and $20 should take care of that.

Enco 9x20.jpg

Be aware that the lead screws are probably Metric even though the handwheels are calibrated in Imperial. There is a small cumulative error when in use. I assume your handwheels have Imperial dials? If I remember correctly each turn of the handwheel is 0.104".
Robert

Be aware that the lead screws are probably Metric even though the handwheels are calibrated in Imperial. There is a small cumulative error when in use. I assume your handwheels have Imperial dials? If I remember correctly each turn of the handwheel is 0.104".
Robert

So the issue would be when turning imperial, or metric or just an issue in general?

It is kind of weird but I really bought it to play with the machine itself, there are so many tweaks out there for these. I have a larger and smaller lathe so from a purely practical perspective it doesn't add any significant capacity, but sometimes not being practical is fun. Half the stuff we make isn't practical and could be purchased for a lot less than the time and effort we put into it. ;)

Couple more things follow me home, i stopped by the local flea/ tool market, first to buy was this vehicle LPG ( propane) evaporator, it was cheap so i got it, then i bought me a luggage dolly, it look sturdy with is steel rims and solid tires but one of the pivot points let go in its first use. No big deal i'll drop a bolt thru it. Last picture is the electric motor i got on sunday for 10$ but forgot to take a picture of. Not bad for a work day.
IMG_20200119_173715.jpgIMG_20200119_173630.jpgIMG_20200119_173511.jpg

Is the luggage dolly meant for carrying the wood pellets to your heater?

I carry the fire pallets by hand they are close and light, the luggage dolly is for heavier staff, i use them when i'm at the flea/tool market because i'm parking close to a mile away when i'm with my sedan and half that with the Niva.
MG0996.jpg

I got a deal on EBay.
Criterion and Bokum, Detroit.
The brazed carbide from Criterion are amazing. Just think, they have the correct geometry. I put an example for your viewing pleasure.809C249B-6196-4395-ADFD-5862A5DCFCB8.jpegFE9BD006-34AD-444A-9409-61391849ACC2.jpeg82F04CAB-B5D8-4809-8B99-F5FB23ABA863.jpeg
Not just a hunk of thick carbide with the wrong offsets.
The 60 degree internal threading tools are great.
I can’t believe I won this auction for what I paid.

So the issue would be when turning imperial, or metric or just an issue in general?

It is kind of weird but I really bought it to play with the machine itself, there are so many tweaks out there for these. I have a larger and smaller lathe so from a purely practical perspective it doesn't add any significant capacity, but sometimes not being practical is fun. Half the stuff we make isn't practical and could be purchased for a lot less than the time and effort we put into it. ;)

That will not be an issue for threading except depth of cut. I noticed that the cross slide seemed to be off when I was making diameter reductions. Check your cross slide movement comparing the handwheel against a caliper. I think you will find .100 on the handwheel is really .104. (or maybe it was .396 I can't remember which way it was off.)
Robert

That will not be an issue for threading except depth of cut. I noticed that the cross slide seemed to be off when I was making diameter reductions. Check your cross slide movement comparing the handwheel against a caliper. I think you will find .100 on the handwheel is really .104. (or maybe it was .396 I can't remember which way it was off.)
Robert

Ah, yeah that makes sense it is not a perfect conversion, so why some brands make a big deal about having a real standard lead screw instead of just converted from metric.

Reactions: rwm
Picked this up yesterday from a C/L ad.
Jaws are a little peckered up, PO says he replaced the movable jaw needle bearings.
It tramed up easily. Is that a viable set up for the tram I have there??
I adjusted the backlash and it seemed to help some.
I'm making parts for a burr puzzle after scaling the dim's down from 3/4" stock to 1/2" as that's what I had on hand.

Attachments

• DSCN7592.JPG
    DSCN7592.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN7596.JPG
    DSCN7596.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN7597.JPG
    DSCN7597.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN7598.JPG
    DSCN7598.JPG