What Did You Buy Today?

NVD!
(New vise day!)
47817cacc297868047b930b9a5427e9f.jpg
2b326ab33fe84f8f73af9dc683a57647.jpg
b72fe3ad01b3224d3521539ec7ace181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a tip, sort of. :)

Keep the large piece of foam. I kept mine & is what I use to set my vise on when it's not on the mill table to protect the bottom. Provides a nice cushion too for when I flip the vise upside down to wipe the bottom surface before putting it back on the mill. Yeah maybe a bit bulky for that use but it works for me & it cost nothing.

Here's a tip, sort of. :)

Keep the large piece of foam. I kept mine & is what I use to set my vise on when it's not on the mill table to protect the bottom. Provides a nice cushion too for when I flip the vise upside down to wipe the bottom surface before putting it back on the mill. Yeah maybe a bit bulky for that use but it works for me & it cost nothing.
Excellent tip Will!

So the dividing head came today. Pontiac428 really called this right. It is quite well made...every surface of any importance for function or appearance is surface ground, or some technique that looks the same. It looks exactly like the pictures below. I recently used a friend’s Ellis dividing head, which is a well designed unit, but the import seems at least as good...plus has a tailstock and a few accessories. There is just a light oil on it, that wipes off easily.

I am well pleased with this purchase, especially at $239 w/ free shipping.

I could not resist the indexing dividing head, this one:
I hope the quality is reasonable.
It's due on Monday Mar. 2nd.
View attachment 314727

Not real sure what this contraption even is. But the price was low enough to get one to find out. It supposedly fits on the end of a motor shaft and has an ER-16 collet chuck. The shaft size is small, I guess because of the ER-16 end, 3/8"/10mm it looks like. I wouldn't trust it at any speed, the set screw will throw it way out of balance. But, to sit on the shelf to make some future unknown device, for a couple of bux, it looks like a keeper.
ER16Adapt.jpg

Not real sure what this contraption even is. But the price was low enough to get one to find out. It supposedly fits on the end of a motor shaft and has an ER-16 collet chuck. The shaft size is small, I guess because of the ER-16 end, 3/8"/10mm it looks like. I wouldn't trust it at any speed, the set screw will throw it way out of balance. But, to sit on the shelf to make some future unknown device, for a couple of bux, it looks like a keeper.
View attachment 315024
I bought something similar (an er16 collet) for my really old wood lathe. The wood lathe was built in 1939, and runs fabulous. The spindle is a 3/4-16, but it is about that size. I think that is for a wood lathe. Id never use an er16 on a metal lathe (too small), but I've also been known to be wrong.

joe

Not hobby related but my wife surprised me with a new 27” iMac, 9th gen i5, 2 TB. A huge difference from the 14” laptop I’ve used for the last 12 yrs. I now have no excuse for not getting taxes done real soon. She made sure I got TurboTax before we returned home. What a great gal!!
8CA5067A-DED5-4070-90A7-3C6FD05BD2E6.jpeg

I bought something similar (an er16 collet) for my really old wood lathe. The wood lathe was built in 1939, and runs fabulous. The spindle is a 3/4-16, but it is about that size. I think that is for a wood lathe. Id never use an er16 on a metal lathe (too small), but I've also been known to be wrong.
joe

It is ostensibly for a metal/wood working motor using metal working collets. Maybe even a non-standard router. But the idea of spinning that thing that fast scares me. It can't be balanced at those speeds. BUT I also have, well Wife does now, a Craftsman from 1939. I didn't know what its' ancestry was when I bought it($35?), just a nice looking wood lathe cheap. When I remarried(3rd), Wife cleaned off the old paint and found the nameplate. Following up on the part number was quite a revelation. A freakin' antique~~~

The idea of using ER-16 collets on the wood working machines never occured to me. But it looks promising. For the price, it might behoove me to order a couple more. I bought a (used) ShopSmith for Wife a few years back. It uses a 5/8" nub for the main drive. An ER-25 holder is also available, with a 5/8 drive hole. The possibilities look limitless. Thanx very much for that!!

As an aside, much of my work is with models of 1/8":1ft. Well, a fuzz larger, H-O at 1:87.5. I do have large tooling but most of my tooling is for tiny stuff. A 1/2" fastener is huge, quite often used as the worm in a reduction gear. An #0-80 machine screw is mid sized. The ER-16s serve me well.

Back