What Did You Buy Today?

Saw this on eBay today! I’ve never seen a fly cutter like this before. It looks to me like the insert is backwards, but round inserts would give a pretty good surface finish wouldn’t they?

View attachment 316327

We used one of these in the shop I worked at. Takes quite a bit of power to make a decent cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used one of these in the shop I worked at. Takes quite a bit of power to make a decent cut.

Yea I thought that might be the case because of the round insert. Maybe you'll see it in the "for sale" section of the forum in a few days...! :dunno:

On the air compressor topic, These have been catching my eye lately.

California Air Tools

I like the fact that they are less noisy than the typical compressor. Might be worth a look? Supposedly made in California.

I bought a new Ingersol Rand compressor. "Proudly assembled in the good old USA". Electric motor - made in Mexico, the pump is made in India.
Oh well, it will do the job. I hope.
In the operating instructions, it says to verify/match the voltage from the "starter/contactor". I wasn't planning on adding a starter.
I just found in the manual, "if the motor installed on your compressor has a motor reset button, it does not require a magnetic starter."

Do I need to?
No, just wire into the switch in the last pic, check the compressor for oil, and fire it up.

Weldo -

I've had a California Air Tools 8010A (or similar) compressor for several years now. LOVE IT!! When I moved a couple years ago, the shop behind the house had air lines pre-plumbed from a large 230V compressor in a back room. I've used the central system a couple times, but mostly just need to run a single air stapler, mini sand blaster, or suchlike. For things like that, I just wheel over my California. It is nice and quiet.

So "assembled in USA" means you can put a flag sticker on it with USA in bold letters. The motor is made by US Motors, which is made in Mexico. The Punjab Express compressor head comes from the green sand foundries of India, where old enough for school means old enough to work. Then they slap a brand logo on it that I used to trust. All that makes my head hurt. I need a new compressor, maybe I'd better budget $4000 for something equitable to yours (that surely will work just fine) made in the lower 48, 'cause that's how it seems to be these days.

Yup, that's pretty much how it is these days unfortunately. Look at Dewalt & the other lines from SB&D.

So what does that mean for my HF compressor? I bought my 60 gal HF compressor used from a shop that burned down that worked on Ducatis. It was the only thing that survived cause it was outside in a shed, was in great condition. Paid $255 for it & sold my 20 gal Craftsman/DeVilbiss for $200.

Anyway, I found out later this older HF compressor is the same unit as a BelAire made by ABAC. Manchester USA certified tank. AO Smith motor made in USA. Condor USA pressure switch. Pump is IMC made in Italy. Many people considered this made in the USA but HF never marketed it that way. Even the tech support number on it is for some air compressor company in the US & not HF, ABAC I assume.

I needed more air at the time. Plan was to just use this HF unit for a few yrs until it died cause it was only a $55 upgrade for me then get something proper. Well I've had it for 9 yrs now & it has never gave me a problem, doesn't even show signs of rusty water yet. That totally surprises me even til this day. I've even got a 17 gal tank piggy backed to it.

Back