What Did You Buy Today?

Scroll chucks are particular with the jaws because of how they mesh with the scroll grooves. I think independent chucks the jaws can go in any location but it is still desirable to keep them in the same location / order for the best accuracy.

I bit the bullet and bought these last week and they arrived today. I can't believe how quickly they arrived. And they came with a gummy bears!

View attachment 341988

Must be a European thing, my Prusa (Czech) 3D printer also came with Haribo gummy bears.

Scroll chucks are particular with the jaws because of how they mesh with the scroll grooves. I think independent chucks the jaws can go in any location but it is still desirable to keep them in the same location / order for the best accuracy.

Must be a European thing, my Prusa (Czech) 3D printer also came with Haribo gummy bears.
I bought mine from Jens Putzier Tools. One of the tabs on their main page is German Sweets. It's an odd combo, but I like it!

Jaws on a 4-jaw chuck are not only interchangeable, but also reversible without any problems or worries.

PS - when centering with a 4-jaw chuck, I've found it handy to label them (with a Sharpie) as A, B, A', and B', with the two As opposite each other, etc. Reduces confusion.

And you might want to take the spring off the chuck key. Yes, they put it there to prevent you from leaving the key in the chuck when starting the lathe. But it also makes it difficult to find and adjust the "far side" jaw when centering a part. Just get in the habit of ALWAYS taking the key out, putting it in a prominent dedicated spot, and checking that it's there when you go to turn the lathe on. I forget who it was who recently posted that "If the chuck key is in the chuck, it's also in your hand."

PS - when centering with a 4-jaw chuck, I've found it handy to label them (with a Sharpie) as A, B, A', and B', with the two As opposite each other, etc. Reduces confusion.
Good idea, John. I got into the habit of labeling mine with numbers and a Red and a Blue Sharpie. Two opposing sides would be Red-1 and Blue-1; the other two would be Red-2 and Blue-2. Any convention that reduces confusion is helpful. Also, it was recommended to me by one of our experts to have two chuck keys: one for the front jaw and the other for the rear - less rotating of the chuck when centering, with the added benefit of it being much harder to forget to remove them when each hand is holding one.

Regards

Jaws on a 4-jaw chuck are not only interchangeable, but also reversible without any problems or worries.
I figured this out on the weekend after spending ten minutes looking for the second set of jaws...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the jaws having to be in the same position. I remember watching a Joe Pie video on 3-jaw chucks, and I believe he said it mattered that the jaws stayed in sequential order. Meaning as long as you know which jaws are 1, 2 & 3, jaw #1 could go into any of the slots. What mattered was that jaw's 2 and 3 followed in sequential order. I should think the same would apply to a 4-jaw, and I'm curious what our more experienced folks have to say. My jaws and chuck are stamped so I keep them in their marked positions.

They should be fine.
The 4 jaws are independently adjusted to center your parts.
With the 3 jaw each has an OFFSET for the scroll so they come together at the same time.
If one was out of sequence your would see a gap when fully closed.

They should be fine.
The 4 jaws are independently adjusted to center your parts.
With the 3 jaw each has an OFFSET for the scroll so they come together at the same time.
If one was out of sequence your would see a gap when fully closed.
That makes sense. Thank you.

I have a Lincoln 125 plus for mig, and a Vulcan Pro Tig 165, but it's DC only. It was only $170 at HF on an open box return deal. It was complete, works great, and had the normal warranty, but no AC. For the money, I couldn't say no. I've wanted an AC tig machine for future projects and just plain messing around, and always figured I buy an inverter machine one day. Then this came along on CL and for the price, I struck. It's a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 with a Weldtec water cooler. It came with everything but the argon, but I have a large bottle already. It is clean and well-cared for. I may not be able to run it full throttle because I only ran #6 wire to my welder outlet, but I think/hope it will be fine. I'm just a hobby, futz around guy gearing up for my car restorations. I know this isn't the crowd to ask for an intervention, but my small shop, the single car side of my 3-car garage, is full. Next summer, I plan to pour some concrete and put in as large a shed as my HOA will allow. I don't think they'll be too generous, but the answer is no until I ask.

IMG_7689.jpg
IMG_7690.jpg

New MT3 50mm carbide Face mill s-l500b.jpg
It might help me make some chips or a mess depends which way you look at it I guess!

And My new Motor Sabertooth 2x32 controller for the Remote control mower arrived!

IMG_0307.JPG

Last edited:
Back