What Did You Buy Today?

I bought the matching Dunham Sliding Drawer Case to go with my Steel Storage Drawers (see post #4933).

This was my first purchase from Zoro which had this for much lower cost than anywhere else. I understand that Zoro is part of Grainger?

IMG_5722.jpg

I have the Harbor Freight one but probably basically the same. It seems like all of us with small shops resist getting one, but these little band saws are super handy. I'd never want to be without a small bandsaw or power hacksaw again.
I already have the cold saw but I did a project this past weekend where I really missed my vertical bandsaw. I'll be making Mikey's table for it soon....

John

Preparing to do some more parts on my steam engine and needed a slitting saw arbor. All my tooling is Tormach TTS so I spent a bit extra to get their 1" arbor.

1611172513123.png

To get to free shipping, I bought 3 setscrew holders as well. I only have ER20 chucks so far (24 of them) so I want to try these out for endmills and save the ER chucks for drills and other non-fractional shank tools. At $21 each with no added cost of a collet, they are the cheapest tool holding option for TTS. They also have the least extension from the nose of the spindle which is important in my tiny mill.
1611172458390.png

I also bought a couple 5-40 taps as the steam engine plans call them out (weird!, didn't even know these existed). I also crashed my TTS edge finder so I got a 3/4" shank Shars brand electronic ball edgefinder in case I can't to a satisfactory repair of the Tormach one. They do not sell them anymore. I might be able to turn a TTS collar to press onto the edgefinder.

1611172653935.png

I've been planning for several years to build a decent stand for mine, but just haven't done it...

That sheet metal is flimsy...

-Bear
Yeah, more substantial would be good but probably take up more room. I'll live with it for now since there are a bunch of other improvements I'd rather work on first.

John

80edc398c7da83a629aac5115dd56ff5.jpg

Almost lost it (the saw, and almost lost my mind) today. I was coming up my street and the FedEx truck was parked in the road right in front of my house. Another vehicle was parked in the other lane blocking any chance I had to get in the driveway. After about 1 minute, I set the timer...4 more minutes pass. In the meantime, my eBay notification comes through that my package was delivered by FedEx!

Hmm. He must have delivered it and Chatty Charlie is keeping him from moving along. Five minutes is a long time when you are watching some guy just block the road for his own pleasure.

Anyway, the blockage clears. I pull into my driveway. No package. I jump back in the car and chase the driver down. He was a little surprised to see me. After asking him where he delivered my saw, we figured out he delivered to 43 Upper Welden, not 43 Upper Newton. He said he would go get it. I beat him to it.

This saw is awesome. I have a big project coming up that will require hundreds of cuts in 2x2x3/16 steel tubing. I don’t have a lot of space or money to drop $1000 or more on a decent bandsaw that will cut square. I considered the abrasive disc route but that’s too slow and no guarantee for square cuts.

To say this thing cuts through butter, cleanly and squarely is not only accurate but a bit of an understatement. Very few burrs, dead straight and square AND an uncanny similarity to cutting wood. It is very strange.

I did have one piece of 1x1x 1/8 angle that kicked and got thrown into the wall. I’m going to need to study up a little more on use.

Also. LOUD. Ear protection is mandatory

af0197de93870b304f13eae752cbc2b3.jpg

a976c96a4389ca96598a8500b9950c2f.jpg

Very happy with this saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Jancy Slugger version, read up on small diameter stuff, you may have to space it up.

Actually was a Christmas present, but finally getting around to finding a spot for it.

6 liter ultrasonic cleaner, it was actually a little bit of a surprise.

A couple months ago I was looking at the cheapo Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaners, but then doing some research and watching some use videos on youtube I was finding that a little bigger than the 2.5 liter size that HF sells sounded desirable. A few specifically linked to this one and gave it positive reviews, so I put it on my wish list and promptly forgot about it.

My wife actually uses the Amazon wish list and got it for me for Christmas. Now I have to find something that needs deep cleaning. :)

Ultrasonic.jpg

Back