What Did You Buy Today?

Snagged a new "toy". It probably cost too much but is something I wanted rather than needed. There was a post the last week or two about a tap for "6/16 inch". Curiosity about why such a numbering system. I snagged an entire set of "bicycle" threads, Sears & Robuck, that has a number of taps and dies(?) for such threads. I interpreted the 6/16 as 3/8 inch. Looking at the 1/2 inch dies, that looks reasonable. What got my attention was the odd thread pitches, 1/8-42 which equates to a Nr 5 screw size, 1/4-24 and 32, 5/16-22 and 26, and the like. Also a Left Hand 1/2-20 and 24. The odd thread pitches are probobly archaic and obsolete. I doubt I'll ever use them, but may do so just to mess with somebody's head. The 1/8 screw is likely a match for a "stove bolt" to my father's time when I was little. It'll take a week or 10 days to know for sure once it gets here.

1632528599731.png
It took that time. My apologies for the political link that got inserted.

Last edited:
I picked up a 22” prop for the Edwards Radial 5 that I’m working on over here:

Still a long way away from attaching the prop, but it’s a nice bit of motivation.

Also got a 2’ rod of Beryllium Copper to use for valve cages/seats/guides. I’ve never worked with it before so I chucked it up in the lathe for a test cut: machines beautifully.

Beer for scale.

093C3470-AF70-4AEE-8D8A-DAC7B0D89409.jpeg

Cut it wet, clean up afterwards... Aluminum bronze or Nickle Aluminum bronze is nearly as strong and not toxic.

Coming from the oilpatch; I know my downhole metals :)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just scored at a local auction this morning.
At least I hope it turns out to be a score!!
Weighs in at 8+ pounds
D.I. is a Westhoff brand?? Decent quality??
Anyone familiar with their instruments?

Attachments

• DSCN8769.JPG
    DSCN8769.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN8768.JPG
    DSCN8768.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
@finsruskw : Anyone familiar with their instruments?

I have two Westhoff 1" indicators. Had them for probably 40 years. They look just like yours.
They haven't been abused and still function as expected.
I got them with the purchase of two Westhoff Mighty Mag magnetic bases.
Apparently Westhoff is still are in business. Mighty Mag

Interesting that my Mighty Mags don't say "Made in USA" but the one pictured in the Amazon ad does.

That looks like a nice comparator stand.

Last edited:
Just don’t breathe the dust, it’s not good.
Thanks for the heads up.

In the lathe, it machined as a nice continuous chip using HSS. Might make a little more of a mess in the mill.

Back