What Did You Buy Today?

Rohm small body extended point MT3 live center. I have a larger Shar's extended point, the Rohm is much smaller in diameter and the bearings are like smooth butter vs. Shar's which were stiff and gritty. Amazon about 40% off of list, couldn't resist, should work well for smaller diameter work.
View attachment 382511
Can you send the link to that? I cant find in on Amazon
R

I don't understand how you have scrap yards that let you take metal. Here is is a one way street. You can get paid for scrap, but there is no walking around for metal to take home. I suppose I should move to Texas now.
Robert
I went to Foils in Harrisburg all the time before I moved. You can walk around there and find pretty much anything you want. They also sell new steel.

Reactions: rwm
I ordered a 48" 16 gauge capacity finger brake from Grizzly back in November of last year. It has been on back order for 11 months now. I don't know how these companies are staying in business if they can not get product to sell. Got tired of the wait and bought one off of E-bay for a few hundred dollars more than the Grizzly price. Now at least I will get it.
brake.jpg

I first saw this item in my local used tool store two weeks ago.......

item1.jpg

item2.jpg

item3.jpg

I was able to take this far apart in the store, without losing any ball bearings.......

apart1.jpg

I did NOT believe it was any kind of centre, but wondered if it could be a clutch....maybe?
But something's not right........what the heck for $29 I'll take a chance!

After I bought it and got it home I could take apart further to reveal:

apart2.jpg

apart3.jpg

apart4.jpg

apart5.jpg

Ah-Ha.................

It is a MT2 to MT2 floating reamer holder!
It initially had some dried up and stiff lubricant in it, and so the female socket part was not moving around freely.
I cleaned that up and oiled it and can now get motion in two directions.
The piece with the two keys 90degrees apart gave it away.

Normally the store owner knows way more about what things are than I do....I guess the MT2 centre in it misled him.
That was worth $29!

-brino

Attachments

• apart2.jpg
    apart2.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 9
  • apart3.jpg
    apart3.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 8
  • apart4.jpg
    apart4.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 9
He has some nice kits. I've got his die filer kit, and the diesel engine kit but haven't had the time to start either of them yet.

The diesel engine kit does not come with any material, correct?? If I am reading correctly, only comes with the drawings, photos, and the "O" rings... I would need to find all the material needed to make it?

That Filing Machine kit looks great, but, for me at least, a bit intimidating to make right now... I did find a video of the final assembly of one... Not the process to machine it, just final assembly and use:

I will need to get some big a** reamers... He uses a motor from a Sherline mill... but reading the comments, there are lot more inexpensive alternatives to drive this tool...

I will go ahead and order it as well... Another great project to make when I get more experience under my belt... Not sure what I will use it for, but such a great project to tackle...

The diesel engine kit does not come with any material, correct?? If I am reading correctly, only comes with the drawings, photos, and the "O" rings... I would need to find all the material needed to make it?

That Filing Machine kit looks great, but, for me at least, a bit intimidating to make right now... I did find a video of the final assembly of one... Not the process to machine it, just final assembly and use:

I will need to get some big a** reamers... He uses a motor from a Sherline mill... but reading the comments, there are lot more inexpensive alternatives to drive this tool...

I will go ahead and order it as well... Another great project to make when I get more experience under my belt... Not sure what I will use it for, but such a great project to tackle...

Yeah, the diesel engine is really just plans and O rings. No exotic materials though, so I can get everything local. That one is down my list a bit, as I want to do some simple steam engines first.

The die filer just looked kind of fun and it seems handy for some of the work I do (or more as I want to do if I ever get the time as it seems lately). The video you linked to is how I found out about it, but since then I've run across a few people that have done it, and that convinced me to get one. You can just fit the work into a 9x20 lathe, one of the ones I saw completed was in a 9x20 group.

That ball turner looks like a good project too.

Have you had a look at the Hemmingway Kits? Similar idea with a lot of interesting things, but since they are in the UK shipping is expensive.

Back