What Did You Buy Today?

Bought a tailstock MT3 off set gizmo. I didn't want to off set my actual tailstock to make some tapered arbors, so...
This item is beautifully made. I suspect that once I find my "ideal" taper I'll just leave it. Markings are clear, Moves nicely. No nicks or dings, all exposed surfaces nicely ground. How do they manage for so cheap? Less than $60 delivered and they have to pay international shipping (relatively fast) Amazon fees, etc.? This is a photo from Amazon, not the identical item but close.
1634666416615.png

Yeah, the diesel engine is really just plans and O rings. No exotic materials though, so I can get everything local. That one is down my list a bit, as I want to do some simple steam engines first.

The die filer just looked kind of fun and it seems handy for some of the work I do (or more as I want to do if I ever get the time as it seems lately). The video you linked to is how I found out about it, but since then I've run across a few people that have done it, and that convinced me to get one. You can just fit the work into a 9x20 lathe, one of the ones I saw completed was in a 9x20 group.

That ball turner looks like a good project too.

Have you had a look at the Hemmingway Kits? Similar idea with a lot of interesting things, but since they are in the UK shipping is expensive.

Okay. Good to know. I will add that diesel engine as well... thanks. And found another video where they show some of the steps of making it...

I did order both Hemingway kits for the knurling tools (Basic and Sensitive)...

Also order two of the kits from our fellow forum member D. Gray. His Machinist Clamps and Toolmaker's clamp kits...

I have it all in their respective boxes... so if I die before I can do them, my wife will be able to place everything in the trash without issues... hahahahahahaha:D Because, let's face it, I am going first... :D:D.

But I do hope to live long enough to have time to do those projects... ;)

Last edited:
Can you send the link to that? I cant find in on Amazon
R
Please note that this Rohm extended point live center is probably a bit too small for general use/heavier loads, rating is something like 100Kg at 1000 RPM. It is made in Germany not Slovakia mentioned on the Amazon site. A few of my MT3 live centers, Rohm is tiny compared to the others, I also have a MT3 Skoda with interchangeable tips that is very nice as well as a large bull nose.
Live Centers.jpg

Robotic arms in the trash!! Can you imagine just having one as a conversation piece in the garage/workshop?!!
Personally I'd put it in the front living room so it could pick up my coffee and give it to me while I'm sitting on the couch :) I did pick up a NOS linear rail and a little control box for the switches. There were whole control cabinets there, but I didn't recognise enough to know what to pick up.
Did they charge you, or did they pay you? I live in such a densely populated area and the scrappers' overhead is so high that I need to sell them my scrap, or else they don't want it. Like, hey, I've got a truckload of aluminum to scrap, who do I pay before unloading here? And which one of your tent-dwelling workers pinched my wallet?
They pay, you can see the rates on the first sheet. Normally I leave the sheet with them and go have a wander round. If I don't have any "ID required" items in my intake (eg. lead acid batteries) they just subtract one from the other and I either pay or receive the difference. In this case I get a check and pay for all my out take. Same thing though.
I don't understand how you have scrap yards that let you take metal. Here is is a one way street. You can get paid for scrap, but there is no walking around for metal to take home. I suppose I should move to Texas now.
Robert
It's pretty neat, like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to find. Last time we were there my friend found an Edelbrock intake manifold for a Dodge V8 of some sort, which he sold for $100. It'd be sad to live somewhere without a scrapyard like this, but I'm sure where you're at has other benefits going by your photos :)
Maybe it is a local thing? I've gone to a scrap yard that both buys and sells in Massachusetts. Was maybe 10 years ago though.

Haven't found a good place in NH that does that. I can get drops and stuff like that in NH, but not at scrap yard prices.
Pretty sure it is. There's an awesome scrapyard in Walla Walla WA where we lived before, but the one where we lived in PA wouldn't let you walk around.

Bought a pair (0-1" and 1-2")of Tesa screw thread micrometers in mint condition on ebay, complete with full set of anvils and a standard. I had been using a Fowler set (Chinese) that was on a semi-permanent loan but that went back last week. I absolutely hate thread wires; I always drop them in the chip pan or on the floor ... always! I've been looking for this set for years now and it finally turned up at a price that was a comparative steal. Just the checking standard, if bought at retail, would have just about covered the cost of this entire set.

View attachment 225941 View attachment 225942 View attachment 225943
immaculate, our market never has stuff like this, well done

bought a big drawer set, on castors to stand by the lathe, alas that was weeks back lost at sea I suppose

Please note that this Rohm extended point live center is probably a bit too small for general use/heavier loads, rating is something like 100Kg at 1000 RPM. It is made in Germany not Slovakia mentioned on the Amazon site. A few of my MT3 live centers, Rohm is tiny compared to the others, I also have a MT3 Skoda with interchangeable tips that is very nice as well as a large bull nose.
View attachment 382572
nice, it's clearly for getting into the end of the part.. I like it. A little rich for me right now @ $222 .. but I like it.

nice, it's clearly for getting into the end of the part.. I like it. A little rich for me right now @ $222 .. but I like it.
Same here, clicked on the link with the intention of buying it and the price stopped me immediately... I did placed it on my wishlist...

I want a dividing head first... looking at this one on eBay... not much more than that live center goes for... from the things on my list to get, I rather get this BS-0 first...

Diving Head - B01.jpeg

Last edited:
Received a 1-13mm Rohm Supra lathe drill chuck. Got it from Amazon. When I opened the package it was out of its cardboard box. Basically they threw the chuck in it's little box in a big bubble wrap bag. That's not proper packing. Unwrapped the wax like paper from the chuck and didn't like the feel of it. It has axial play of 5-10 thousandths. (Maybe more, but I haven't measured it.) If I shake it there's something loose inside. (This is with the chuck tightened.) The action isn't smooth, it feels like the bearings are damaged. Sort of little irregular bumps as one opens and closes it. It feels like a return, or a bungled rebuild. This little chuck was going to be for my 10x22 lathe. I'm returning the drill chuck.

Back