What Did You Buy Today?

Awesome that you stepped up to the plate to help him out.
:clapping:
Thanks for the kind words.

I think helping each other is what H-M is all about.
Aukai was easy to work with. He paid for my diesel fuel and surprised me by sending a very nice snack food treat too.

@Aukai needed a hand (it would be a heck of a swim), I could do it and I got introduced to freight forwarding for the first time.

Best of all, we got it done. Win - win.

I would like to thank Ray(extropic) for offering to go out of his way to purchase, and deliver a US General tool chest to the pier for me. We went to the closest store, and bought whatever color they had in stock. I could have bought a Husky with their drawer layout for 139.00, but I have wanted to try the US General, I'm not disappointed, and it's cheaper than a Snap-On.

I think you will be happy with it. I have a Husky 27" with a top box and US General 26" & 44" boxes, the US General are much stouter.
I hand picked my Husky and had to go through several on the floor to avoid getting one with the wobbles.

Thanks for the kind words.

I think helping each other is what H-M is all about.
Aukai was easy to work with. He paid for my diesel fuel and surprised me by sending a very nice snack food treat too.

@Aukai needed a hand (it would be a heck of a swim), I could do it and I got introduced to freight forwarding for the first time.

Best of all, we got it done. Win - win.

It was Spam something I bet. Spam is a big thing in Hawaii. Spam flavored macadamia nuts... :)

It was nice of you to do this for him, and I agree this is the kind of thing that really makes this place stand out. :encourage:

Only bought if you consider gas and effort, but another project. I might be on the wrong site, perhaps I should have joined a site for machine rescue hobbyists.
I've been looking for a wood planer to go along with the jointer I bought. Really preferred to get something vintage if possible and this turned up "free to the first person to haul it off" and only 15 minutes away.
It is a Belsaw 901 12x6" planer, yeah another wood thing...
I'm guessing late 1940s vintage. It apparently had been outside under a tarp for quite some time (years), but it looks pretty good despite that, very little more than some surface rust. Solidly built and appears to have been well oiled / greased before sitting all these years. There is a company that offers parts support for many Belsaw planers.

I didn't think to get a photo of it all together but here it is after I got it home. It has a huge motor that probably accounts for about 1/2 the weight. I haven't found the tag but 5hp was common, "seller" said it is 240v single phase. A prior owner built a very nice wooden cabinet for it, but that is basically scrap now, the plywood is swollen and delaminating. The steel frame inside appears intact though and will probably work as the base, in fact I think it might be the original stand that was just enclosed with plywood.

tag.jpg

right.jpgleft.jpgfront.jpgcabinet.jpgmotor.jpg

Got some stuff out of boxes, and the US General is loaded, almost ran out of room for the couple of vises I have. 6" Kurt, 2 4" Glacerns, a Palmgren, and my small Starrett.

Today i visited a Tool/flea market, I needed a multimeter and couple of wrench sockets. First to find and buy was the very small pocket size multimeter (red one) 7$ then i did some more waking and found and bought me the hand bender and punch for sheet metal 3$ after that i found and bought the LAN cable metre 4$. I also got the seller to throw in 3 new 9V batteries. Then by chance( or Murphy's law) I found and bought a new multimeter for 5$. But the buy of the day come in last, trying to buy 4 sockets for 28$ but for 40$ i could buy this entire socket set, so i got the entire set. Lots of walking but i got me some good deals.
IMG_20211107_094406.jpgIMG_20211107_094339.jpgIMG_20211107_094435.jpgIMG_20211107_094257.jpgIMG_20211107_094055.jpg

Back