What Did You Buy Today?

Ordered at a local foundry a grey cast iron block: 23 x 13 x 11 cm [L x l x h]

I plan to raise the mill column by 10cm.

Just sandwich it between the base and the column and use longer bolts to hold the column.

I might epoxy it to the column. Don't know if this helps with vibrations.

I will also check the column squareness to the table and if out of square I will add the necesary angles when facing the block.
f4ab1d26527ab56fd266e997969d9be0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Just another write-off, the reason I won't pay much up front. If it works out, I will buy another one new. Although I did beat out a couple of other bidders. What I wanted to do is measure the "root?" diameter of a screw. But the anvils are too thick (~0.020") to measure the small (<1/4-20) threads I deal with. They will do fine, I guess, for a 5/8' bolt and things of that size. But even with the slight angular meeting of the anvils, they are thicker than the pitch of most of my work. Ces la Vie', $h!t happens. . . I'll just stick to a good caliper with sharp edges, and my understanding of screw threads to determine drill sizes.
1669673219906.png

What do you figger your chances of grinding the tips so they fit for you? Might not get a tenth accuracy but I think one or two thou should be possible, yes? If I were going to ‘write it off’ anyway I think I’d grind them and see what happened.

While it is a write-off, I would be highly skeptical of grinding the tips. Because of my (lack of) accuracy. Added to the reluctance to "modify" a manufactured tool unless absolutely necessary. Then there is the real problem, in that the screw threads around a 2-56, that I consider to be the middle of the range I work in. I consider a 1/4-20 to be a large screw and occasionally deal with 3/0-120. I do make "off-normal" threads, some obsolete or archaic, some custom for a difficult application.

I do thank you for the suggestion, even though I thought the same when I ordered it. I am currently using the "knife edge" tips on a dial caliper. That has been moderately satisfactory since the '70s. I have had to "oversize" a few times, but only a few, in near 50 years.

Nothing wrong with owning groove mics . They come in handy ! :encourage:

Just another write-off, the reason I won't pay much up front. If it works out, I will buy another one new. Although I did beat out a couple of other bidders. What I wanted to do is measure the "root?" diameter of a screw. But the anvils are too thick (~0.020") to measure the small (<1/4-20) threads I deal with. They will do fine, I guess, for a 5/8' bolt and things of that size. But even with the slight angular meeting of the anvils, they are thicker than the pitch of most of my work. Ces la Vie', $h!t happens. . . I'll just stick to a good caliper with sharp edges, and my understanding of screw threads to determine drill sizes.
View attachment 428091
This is a blade mike, handy for measuring the diameter of grooves and other hard to reach features. Screw thread micrometers either have a set of interchangeable anvils to handle a range of pitches, or handle only a narrow range. A pair of anvils consists of a vee-point and matching notch. Around $60 new on eBay:

A8856D37-854C-4B7F-BCE5-9F8484B60950.jpeg

saw this and was wondering about using it

Back