What did you make on your shaper?

Man that things pretty slick. Time consuming but awesome none the less. You know your doing something when you hear the chips hit the floor

Why don't ya build one??? I'm going to.

"Billy G"

Great reply Billy...you're going to enjoy that, be sure to start a thread :thumbzup:

They re great for cutting dovetails.Greg

Nice work Greg, looks very precise, way beyond my skills right now, but I jumped right in and started a tangential tool holder last evening. It's been challenging and cutting the dovetail was a bit scary as I don't have the correct tool holder (to be made soon) and I found out the hard way that lathe types with the built in incline to the bit can cause a bit of grabbing! Luckily I'm using ally and I find the shaper is so nice to use it turned out OK.

Oh and I like the way you've removed the ratchet link, I'll be sure to do that in future!

Sorry but I was too busy to think of take pics, which is just as well because the stick-out I had to use on the tool bit would have you lot sucking your teeth!

This is where I'm at now, taking tiny cuts due to not having any support under the work due to the angle (another teeth sucking opportunity) but I'm taking it slow and very very careful!

DSCF3577.JPG

Taking a breather from cutting the tool bit slot, to cool my brain down....coffee.gif

Bernard

coffee.gif DSCF3577.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome work and pic's f350ca, thanks for sharing, I never thought that is what a shaper can do. how many strokes per each groove on the rack does it take, just curious. and is it automatic in the bit getting depth and the lateral movement for each groove or is that done manually.

thanks

Why don't ya build one??? I'm going to.

"Billy G"

That will be one very cool project. My problem with that Bill, is I already have more projects than I can do now.:pondering:

Danreb, I use the lathe style tool holders often, the angle saves grinding a rake in the cutter.

Burtonbr Thanks, Was slow going cutting the teeth, the first 60 or 70 thou you could plunge in pretty quick but as you got deeper it was taking more material up the side of the tooth and 3 or 4 thou at a time was it. The racks were held on dowel pins 8 inches apart, it would take about 2 hours to cut the teeth and reset the stock. All manual but I added the DRO to position the teeth and set the depth. The dials on a Logan shaper are uselessly small,

Kind of neat in a way, an obsolete machine with DRO's cutting racks for a CNC plasma table.
Greg

That is Super COOL!!! thanks for the explanation.

Danreb, I use the lathe style tool holders often, the angle saves grinding a rake in the cutter.Greg

Thanks Greg, I've read a few times on the web that shaper tool holders should not have a rake as it causes the tool to rotate in a wider arc if it digs in....but I've just checked with a proper source and you are of course quite right to use them...it must have been my improper use that caused the problem.

Note to self, don't listen to old wives tales.... when you have a book on the shelf.:read:

Bernard

So what have you ingenious chaps made on your shapers, how adventurous have you been?

Well so far all I've made is a mess! :roflmao:

I bought this Atlas 7B from a forum member last fall. I thought I got a pretty good deal. Only problem was I bought it pieces. The previous owner had disassembled it a few years ago with the intention of a refurb. Then he ended up with another one that was in better shape and this one sat untouched. Needless to say I was a little apprehensive that all the pieces were there.

I think it's going to turn out OK. All the pieces seem to be there with the exception of some spacers and bushings that I can make........just need to figure out the correct sizes. I've been working on it over the winter off and on.......when the mood strikes. I think I have all the painting done as of today. I bought new miter gears for the ram adjustment and have to bore/key those. I also need to buy some shim stock and cut it to size. And........all the little things I forgot.

Here's a couple pic's of "my mess".

P1050997.JPGP1060048.JPGP1060051.JPG

I'm anxious to get it finished and be able to finally use it.

Steve

P1050997.JPG P1060048.JPG P1060051.JPG

Well so far all I've made is a mess! :roflmao:

I'm anxious to get it finished and be able to finally use it. Steve

Hi Steve, if you call that a mess then you need to see my work space so you can get a proper feel for the word....:lmao:

Your shaper's looking really great and you'll have a lot of fun with it very soon by the look of it, thanks for posting your pics. :thumbzup:

Bernard

Back