What did you make on your shaper?

The Metal Shaper was the original Mill Chuck. It's the milling machine that phased it out. Here is an introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4D9jKRvFhs

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't ya build one??? I'm going to.

"Billy G"

I wish this guy kept making his videos... He did a few and just stopped? Bad sound in the first one, but still good, and the following videos were even better

Bernie

I needed to make a special propeller nut for one of my antique rowboat motors. The South Bend 9A did most of the machining work, but the Atlas helped out to cut the hex. I don't have a turn-table for the shaper, and rotating the vice is a nuisance, but the spin index I rigged up for the occasion worked out real well.

Ferro 026.jpgFerro 032.jpg

Best,
T2

Ferro 026.jpg Ferro 032.jpg

I needed to make a special propeller nut for one of my antique rowboat motors. The South Bend 9A did most of the machining work, but the Atlas helped out to cut the hex. I don't have a turn-table for the shaper, and rotating the vice is a nuisance, but the spin index I rigged up for the occasion worked out real well.

Best,
T2

Another clever use for a shaper T2, nice work..:thumbzup:

Bernie, Its a Logan Shaper, the scales weren't super hard to mount but a certain amount of fiddling and milling was required, don't think they'd planned for them when making the castings. They seam to be quite accurate. The racks were 56 inches long, 8 inches of teeth were spaced using it then the material indexed and the last tooth located off the DRO and start again, when finished I could rotate one rack end for end and they would mesh down the length. The final test was when setting up the plasma table, I entered the steps per inch based on the pitch of the rack, after that on a 40 inch movement it was as accurate as the tape measure I was checking with.
Greg

Say Greg, I am just wondering about the DRO wire? I'm thinking of a mounted coathanger in the rear to suspend the wire Im thinking????
I got a 6" dro just havent got to it yet. sam

Has anyone had any dealings with a Sheldon shaper. One with a 13 in stroke is for sale about 2 hours from me.
I got the owner to send some pictures. It looks complete. I told him about my distance delima and he as agreed to send more pictures. His price is $ 600 negotiable.
Jake Parker

Last edited:
I beleive that the Sheldon shapers were good machines. Price sounds good, depending on condition and tooling. If it has a vise, that's a huge bonus and should be considered in the price (the vise will probably cost you ~200 if you have to buy one seperately). That's a nice size machine for a small shop, as well. Bit enough to do some serious work, small enough not to be a pain to move or take up a huge amount of shop space. I think the sheldons were fairly modern machines as well, with dovetail ways and electric motor drive from the factory. Look for galling on the ram ways from being ran without lube. Good luck. I

Unfortunately no vice. I have a 4" vice the millrite can share. Im going to offer $500 and see if he takes it. If not I will have to scrape up the rest. Its around 1800# , so I will have to take a trailer. 2 hrs one way, app. $100 in gas. Thats a 13" shaper for under $700. Wooohoo:):D
Jake Parker

Back