What dividing head uses 4-hole plates?

S

SCLead

Forum Guest
Register Today
I just bought an Ellis 6" dividing head, which came with 7 dividing plates. Unfortunately, one of those plates is a duplicate, and three of them use four counterbored holes to mount, rather than the Ellis-style three countersunk. One of these plates is still in the wax paper from lord knows when. The other two are double sided (different hole patterns on each side of the plate, can be mounted either way), which I've only read of Cincinnati heads utilizing. My Google-fu suggests Cinci heads use the same 3-hole mount as my Ellis though. Anybody have any ideas? I can get pictures if my description sucks :)

The Cincinnati heads that I am familiar with use a plate that is much larger than most all other plates, and has serrations milled on a short segment of the OD for the fine adjust feature, and yes, they are drilled on both sides.
I have a Brown & Sharpe dividing head, and they have a 3 hole mount counterbored on one side.

Good point there Ben, I'll get some actual dimensions this evening. They're darn close in size to my Ellis plates, but a bit thicker. The pin holes are also smaller, so my indirect index pin doesn't quite "drop in," or else I'd probably just put some new mounting holes in them haha

I think the Phase II 241-101 dividing plates are 4 holes

Back