What do I do with this?

Freon is what turns into phosgene when it burns. Very nasty stuff.

Phosgene is COCl2. Halon 1301 is CF3Br (there are a bunch of different kinds of Halon--see wikipedia below). There is no chlorine in Halon 1301, thus it cannot turn into phosgene. Period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halon

Yes, CF3Br (Halon 1301) is bad for the ozone. It's why production was banned. It remains a valuable fire extinguisher material for some critical applications, thus can (and should) be reclaimed professionally. It is relatively safe (obviously it poses an asphyxiation hazard since it removes oxygen from a fire). It also has value. A reputable fire extinguisher company will give you good advice on the best way to sell it (assuming the extinguisher still has gas in it).

Your right,,,,,, I checked the information
i was told that about 30-years ago, when Wikipedia didn't exist and checking information was not easy to find out

Middle Road, let us know what you find out.

Thanks!
Evan

Just weighed it. - 6.8lbs
Time to make some calls.

EDIT
Call #1 a large co here in Knoxville, "well we normally charged $5 but we'll waived that if you just want to drop it off with us...."

Last edited:
Just weighed it. - 6.8lbs
Time to make some calls.

EDIT
Call #1 a large co here in Knoxville, "well we normally charged $5 but we'll waived that if you just want to drop it off with us...."
That's mighty big of them.:oops: Keep looking.

EDIT
I just called the local fire extinguisher place that I buy from and while they couldn't give me a value, he said that it's definitely got some value to reclaim.

Just submitted online requests for quotes.
For grins & giggles I typed in and searched on "selling halon 1301" hehe, there's just a few...
Now we shall see... Proceeds can go towards the heat bill for the last couple of months or into the tool fund...

They'll probably want large tanks and such, not some piddlely arsed 5lb bottle.

I have two halon extinguishers I got from a computer room we were dismantling. I had them checked a while back when I had my small engine shop, still keep them around but maybe I should see what I can get. If my shop goes up in flames I'd be fine with dry chem as the cleanup would be a PITA anyway....

Many years ago a sales rep. demonstrated halon to me for our computer dept. He filled an ashtray with lighter fluid, and put a small amount of halon into a glass tumbler. He then lit the fluid on fire which produced quite a flame. Then he tipped the tumbler slowly towards the ashtray and the halon quickly shot into the flame extinguishing it almost instantly. Really impressive.

Small size works for engine compartment.

Check on irv2 site as some over there build systems for engine and refer fire suppression.

Yes it has value as it can be used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The "Bat Mobile" is equipped with a Halon fire suppression system. I saw it with my own eyes...

Back