What do I have here? Brass, bronze

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I have these escutcheon plates from an Asian Door (I assume). I got them in a lot of raw material that had tons of different metals, sheets, rounds, plastics, and junk. These appear to be bronze, but I could be wrong. At times it looks like copper, at times brass. I put one of the cut ones in a cleaner solution and still have no clue. How do I test (at home) for the different metals. Does anyone think these are saleable? if not, I'm thinking of melting them down if I do a refractory.
no urgent need, but would like to know for future planning. I hope to have a long retirement. :)

20220115_151829.jpg20220115_151844.jpg

Just a guess/suggestion... Try a file, brass is lot softer than bronze.

Without doing a chemical analysis of the metals the best way to distinguish the difference of brass vs. bronze is by their color. Brass will usually be a dull gold color and bronze has a more reddish or copper color.

Most likely brass. They appear to be cast, how thick? Can you bend one?

Seems a shame to melt them down.

To the right person , someone restarting a door, those plates could be valuable. The problem is finding the right person. From the application they are most likely brass. Brass can come in both the familiar yellow and the red type found in plumbing.

I’d put them on eBay just how they are, individual with a low starting bid and maybe $15 buy it now.

Chances are someone needs them for a project.

John

And post the best one first to see how high it’ll go.

I’d put them on eBay just how they are, individual with a low starting bid and maybe $15 buy it now.

Chances are someone needs them for a project.

John
This is what I would suggest. Clean one or two just enough to see the artwork, leaving as much of the patina as possible. I restored an old house and finding pieces like this was nearly impossible.

They are "Priceless yet Worthless at the same time. Beautiful peices.
It is locating that buyer.
I have a tough time scrapping anything that nice, that is premium brass though, better than can be aquirred easily now days.

Back